May 13, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Cleveland and New York are playing a doubleheader today and the Indians took Game 1 behind a complete-game shutout by Justin Masterson, who improves to 6-2 with a 3.14 ERA on the season. Jason Kipnis‘ solo homer in the first inning ended up being the only scoring in a 1-0 game.
Masterson’s complete-game shutout is just the eighth thrown against the Yankees since 2005:
Justin Masterson 2013 Felix Hernandez 2012 Dan Haren 2011 Felix Hernandez 2010 Roy Halladay 2009 Roy Halladay 2008 Jon Lester 2008 Roy Halladay 2005
Masterson previously shut out the White Sox on April 21, so he now has two of the American League’s eight shutouts this year.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)