May 13, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Cleveland and New York are playing a doubleheader today and the Indians took Game 1 behind a complete-game shutout by Justin Masterson, who improves to 6-2 with a 3.14 ERA on the season. Jason Kipnis‘ solo homer in the first inning ended up being the only scoring in a 1-0 game.
Masterson’s complete-game shutout is just the eighth thrown against the Yankees since 2005:
Justin Masterson 2013 Felix Hernandez 2012 Dan Haren 2011 Felix Hernandez 2010 Roy Halladay 2009 Roy Halladay 2008 Jon Lester 2008 Roy Halladay 2005
Masterson previously shut out the White Sox on April 21, so he now has two of the American League's eight shutouts this year.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47