May 13, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Cleveland and New York are playing a doubleheader today and the Indians took Game 1 behind a complete-game shutout by Justin Masterson, who improves to 6-2 with a 3.14 ERA on the season. Jason Kipnis‘ solo homer in the first inning ended up being the only scoring in a 1-0 game.
Masterson’s complete-game shutout is just the eighth thrown against the Yankees since 2005:
Justin Masterson 2013 Felix Hernandez 2012 Dan Haren 2011 Felix Hernandez 2010 Roy Halladay 2009 Roy Halladay 2008 Jon Lester 2008 Roy Halladay 2005
Masterson previously shut out the White Sox on April 21, so he now has two of the American League’s eight shutouts this year.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)