More labor drama in San Francisco

May 13, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

ATT Park

Last week we learned that the Giants are paying back wages to clubhouse attendants who were not properly compensated for their work. Now, the San Francisco Chronicle reports, AT&T Park concession workers have authorized a strike against the company which operates in the Giants’ ballpark.

The concession employees have not had a contract for three years and voted overwhelmingly to authorize the strike. They won’t strike immediately, however, as they’re waiting to see how the authorization causes management to react.  There are over 700 workers affected here, and if they do strike, the guy getting you your Anchor Steam or garlic fries will be some management official or a temp worker.

This background story in the Chron quotes a management spokesman suggesting that the workers are well-paid and have decent benefits. Which may cause some to say that these workers have nothing really to complain about. But that’s sorta beside the point when it comes to an active labor negotiation in which agreement is required.

1. waiverclaim - May 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

There isn’t a city in America with more screwed up local politics than SF.

• mybrunoblog - May 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I guess you’ve never heard of Detroit

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Or Macondo.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Objection noted, but California in general is a mess as a state.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Well, you’re all welcome to relocate to the Frying Pan then. I thought not.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Big Pine Key is my goal long term. You may call me a dreamer….

• windycity0301 - May 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Chicago is a mess of local politics as well… And, don’t get me started on the state of IL overall. I think they are trying to catch CA in the financial mess department.

• indaburg - May 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I’m thinking there’s a lot of competition for the title of most screwed up locally political town.

• blabidibla - May 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

This labor dispute doesn’t really have much to do with local politics.

• APBA Guy - May 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Another refugee from Trailer Park News bloviating about which he knows nothing.

Financially, SF ran a $ 129M surplus last year, continuing a recovery from the 2008 housing/financial collapse that every locality suffered from. Politically, Mayor Ed Lee’s administration has been relatively free of scandal, as is evidenced by the rather boring scandal sheet:

SF isn’t free of challenges. No major city is. But most screwed up? Far, far from reality.

• clydeserra - May 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Same goes for the state

• clydeserra - May 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

What does local politics have to do with this?

2. randygnyc - May 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I wonder if the players will cross the line. Solidarity, comrades!!!

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM

You make it sound like you think that what the players have is actually a “labor union.” They don’t. It’s a millionaire’s club that wraps itself in the illusion of being a union – it doesn’t even call itself one – and unlike a genuine union, which respects the needs of other workers, it pisses even on its own future members and routinely throws the minor league players under any convenient bus.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Sad fact Gator, *alot* of unions operate that way up here in the NE.

• Roger Moore - May 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Most important from a practical standpoint, is that the CBA has a clause forbidding sympathy strikes. Even assuming the Giants were a bunch of commies, they’re not allowed to strike in support of the concessions people. I’m sure they’re happy to agree to that term so they have an excuse not to strike, but it’s in the agreement.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I’m with Randy. I miss the days when little children were allowed to work the coal mines. That’s what made America strong.

• indaburg - May 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Absolutely right, koufax. That’s the problem with kids today. We coddle them too much.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Kids should not have to enter the work place until they’re 24 and still living at home, totally with you folks.

3. tomemos - May 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

By “temp worker” you mean “scab,” right?

• pilonflats - May 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Anyone that calls someone a “scab” for working an honest job to feed their family needs to seriously look in the mirror and realize that they are in desperate need of getting a clue

• Roger Moore - May 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Anyone who thinks that working as a scab is an honest job is in desperate need of a clue. I can understand that some people might be sufficiently desperate that they’re willing to take whatever comes along, but working as a strikebreaker does nothing but help greedy management at the expense of other workers.

• jm91rs - May 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You get paid and you feed your family, I don’t care who I’m helping or insulting, if I were down on my luck and my family was hungry, I’d take a “scab” job.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Then you shouldn’t be surprised when the conditions that left you down on your luck in the first place become the institutional norm.

4. randygnyc - May 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Roger- is that a fact? Hadn’t heard that before and if its the case, answers my question.

• Roger Moore - May 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I may need to double check that. I remember that being a term of previous CBAs, but I can’t find it in the current one. FWIW, you can get the complete text, with attachments, of the CBA from MLB’s web site (http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf).

5. iranuke - May 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I’d like to point out that management at Walmart, and most other businesses will ALWAYS say that their workers are getting “good pay and benefits”. Not knowing what the “pay and benefits” are, its hard to make a reasonable judgement as to which side is being reasonable. My guess is that the workers are getting payed minimum wage with no benefits.

• jm91rs - May 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Are most of these jobs only during the baseball season and only at home games? I’m not saying minimum wage is really livable, but I’m not sure there needs to be any benefits other than pay for such a part time gig.

• gloccamorra - May 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

If you followed Craig’s link to the Chronicle, the spokesman said wages are $15-$20 an hour with 100% health benefits.

Of course, that’s during 3 hour games, plus set up time and clean up time, 81 times a year, or less than $10,000 a season, not enough to live on, much less feed the family.

Another issue the article cited is job security, but they want their employer to guarantee their jobs in case the Giants switch to another concessions vendor? That might be asking a bit too much.

• jm91rs - May 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I don’t really know the details of the case so I don’t feel too strongly one way or the other, but for working 81 times a year at probably 6-7 hours each time, getting full health benefits is outstanding.

Your schedule is set in stone, if that’s the kind of work you want to do it should be pretty simple to find a full time retail job to fill in the missing hours. If that’s not enough to live on, then you probably need to look elsewhere for a job. You can’t expect to make enough to feed the family on 500-600 hours of work per year when the average working man is probably putting in 2000 or more.

6. sophiethegreatdane - May 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

…a management spokesman suggesting that the workers are well-paid and have decent benefits.

…said every single manager in the history of ever.

Isn’t this one of the cliches that Crash Davis taught Nuke Laloosh to keep him out of trouble with reporters?

“We just got to take ‘em one day at a time.”
    “Of course the workers are paid a fair salary with decent benefits.”

7. yousuxxors - May 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM

California is not in the red anymore. go look what happened to Texas when the federal aid got cut.

8. yousuxxors - May 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM

yea but aren’t those jobs usually part time or kid jobs?

All the trade deadline news to know