May 13, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: It turns out it wasn’t all good news for Francisco. Mets assistant general manager John Ricco told Rubin that the veteran reliever was actually diagnosed with a mild strain of the flexor pronator in his right elbow. Either way, he’s going to rest for 72 hours before attempting to throw again.
6:32 PM: Frank Francisco was nearing a return from the disabled list before he was scratched from a bullpen session Saturday with renewed soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow, but he received some good news today.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets manager Terry Collins said that doctors did not find any structural damage in Francisco’s elbow. The plan calls for him to rest for a few days before he’ll attempt to resume throwing. Still, the timeline for his return to the Mets’ bullpen remains up in the air, which may or may not be a good thing depending on who you ask.
Francisco posted a career-high 5.53 ERA in 48 appearances last season as the Mets’ closer and had a bone spur removed from his elbow in December. The 33-year-old right-hander is making $6.5 million this season. Bobby Parnell has emerged as the team’s closer during his absence, though he has only received five save chances thus far.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)