May 13, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Pittsburgh activated Neil Walker from the disabled list after the second baseman missed three weeks with a lacerated finger.
Walker needed six stitches after being spiked by Cardinals shortstop Pete Kozma on April 27.
After initially turning to Brandon Inge at second base in Walker’s absence the Pirates moved on to Jordy Mercer. But despite hitting three homers in nine games Mercer is headed back to Triple-A to make room on the roster for Walker.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)