May 13, 2013, 1:48 PM EST
Pittsburgh activated Neil Walker from the disabled list after the second baseman missed three weeks with a lacerated finger.
Walker needed six stitches after being spiked by Cardinals shortstop Pete Kozma on April 27.
After initially turning to Brandon Inge at second base in Walker’s absence the Pirates moved on to Jordy Mercer. But despite hitting three homers in nine games Mercer is headed back to Triple-A to make room on the roster for Walker.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)