May 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Ricky Romero made his first Triple-A start since being demoted back to the minors by the Blue Jays and looked very much like the pitcher who’s 1-15 with a 7.60 ERA in the big leagues since last June.
Romero failed to make it out of the fourth inning, coughing up six runs on 10 hits, and walked five batters while recording zero strikeouts. It was a complete disaster of a start.
Blue Jays pitching coach Pete Walker was asked about the terrible performance and gave an excuse-filled response to Mike Rutsey of the Toronto Sun:
I think anytime anybody has returned from the big leagues to the minor leagues it’s always a letdown. Those Triple-A hitters can swing the bat. I mean, there’s a lot of good players down there and I’m sure most major leaguers can attest to that. When they go down for the first time or when they’re first sent down when they’re in the big leagues, it’s always a little bit of a letdown. Mentally you go out there and you think you can just go out there and do what you need to do but they swing the bat and they can put you in some tough situations.
Again, Romero is 1-15 with a 7.60 ERA in the majors since last June. His being terrible at Triple-A isn’t about “a letdown” or Triple-A hitters being amazing.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 9
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)