Wei-Yin Chen likely headed to the disabled list

May 13, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT

Wei-Yin Chen AP

Wei-Yin Chen left yesterday’s start with an oblique injury and Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that the Orioles left-hander is expected to be placed on the disabled list.

As usual Chen and the Orioles initially hoped he would only be sidelined for a few days, but almost no player avoids the DL with an oblique strain.

Baltimore already has Miguel Gonzalez on the DL, so Steve Johnson or Jair Jurrjens are the likely fill-in candidates for Chen, who has pitched very well with a 3.04 ERA through 47 innings.

1. fukpittsburgh - May 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Hoping this will be a blessing in disguise as long as he’s only missing a few starts. This will give Steve Johnson the opportunity to shine and in doing so lock up a spot in the rotation. I know that dude can pitch and was a victim of bad weather in his first start of the season. I think a rotation down the stretch consisting of Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman and Johnson could be lethal.

2. rockthered1286 - May 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM

FKPT I’m right there with you but humor me: what do they do with Garcia and/or Jake?

• fukpittsburgh - May 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM

At the end of the day the best guy wins the spot regardless of age but I obviously don’t think Garcia has a long term future with the O’s and Johnson does. Idk it’s a tough spot there with Garcia. Even if Garcia is a little bit better right now, I think it would behoove Buck to let Johnson get in there and get experience and confidence but then Garcia gets uneasy. With Arrieta, as far as I’m concerned he has expended all of his opportunities for a starting spot. Yeah we know he has filthy stuff but he is too inconsistent and there are too many other guys ready to step up. So like Matusz, I think Arrieta is best suited for the pen where he might actually be able to contribute and step in for a spot start from time to time.

• rockthered1286 - May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I agree. Jake has had plenty of time to prove himself and he just can’t cut it as a starter. I put him in the same category as Strop- good stuff but just can’t grasp the mental aspect of pitching, especially with runners on. My whole theory with Jake? Give him one more shot, hope he has a good outting then put him on the trading block. Some team will see a young(ish) pitcher with potential that they think they can mold (similar to the David Hernandez deal a few years back). I’d be fine moving Jake in order to make room for Steve Johnson BUT I need to know that he can fill the void first, so like you said, you need to give Johnson the starts. He’s not going to do any worse that what Jake was doing, and now with the voids from Chen and Gonzo, there’s no excuse. Garcia will have a few go arounds as well and again, assuming he pitches well and Chen/ Gonzo return in good shape, pop Garcia on the trading block. He may get a bite or 2, who knows. But assuming one stays, you move them into the long relief role for the year and go from there…

3. tsuscrumhalf - May 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Johnson to me is a long reliever. He’s great the first trip thru the batting order & less so on the 2nd & 3rd trip. That spells long relief. Lets see jurrjens gausman garcia all get a few starts. Buck will use a lot of pitchrs & the best 5 will be starting in October.

• bmorelikeme - May 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I agree with this. I love the Steve Johnson, local boy does good story, but I think alot of O’s fans tend to overrate his abilities because of it. To me Steve Johnson isn’t part of a Championship starting 5, though I think he can carve out a niche in the bullpen as a long reliever/spot starter.

He will get a few more chances though, Jurrjens is waiting in the wings, Wada is starting to throw again, Britton, then Gausmann. Don’t count out DD aquiring a Joe Saunders type of pitcher too. If there’s one thing we learned about the guy, it’s that he’s not afraid to make moves.

• rockthered1286 - May 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Steve Johnson does get a ton of hype for being local. My younger sister and her friends are close with his brother Dan so I always hear a ton of pumping him up, but they do need to give the kid a shot. If he pitches like he did last year? Worth it. If he sucks it up like last week? Demote him and move on. But there’s 2 open rotation spots for the short term and he deserves a shot more than Arrieta (who is hurt anyway), Britton (who has pitched 2 poor games) or Gausman (who is 1-4 in AA this year).

What I’d like to see the Duke do? Move some pitching excess to Filthy and bring Utley over to play second.I know it’ll take some good prospects, but it would be worth it to me. The issue there is convincing Uncle Pete to take on that salary…

• bmorelikeme - May 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I agree that Johnson should get another spot start or 2 during this stretch. I just don’t see him as the guy filling out a “lethal” rotation.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3546)