May 14, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Having watched the play occur live and then a couple dozen times on replay I’m not sure how Bryce Harper could possibly have avoided some sort of significant injury while crashing full speed, face first into the outfield wall last night. But apparently he did.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that X-rays came back negative and Harper has been diagnosed with a bruised left shoulder and left knee. He passed a concussion test immediately after the collision, didn’t lose any teeth, and was only bleeding from a laceration on his neck.
If you haven’t seen the play yet, here’s MLB.com’s video:
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39