May 14, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Having watched the play occur live and then a couple dozen times on replay I’m not sure how Bryce Harper could possibly have avoided some sort of significant injury while crashing full speed, face first into the outfield wall last night. But apparently he did.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that X-rays came back negative and Harper has been diagnosed with a bruised left shoulder and left knee. He passed a concussion test immediately after the collision, didn’t lose any teeth, and was only bleeding from a laceration on his neck.
If you haven’t seen the play yet, here’s MLB.com’s video:
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)