May 14, 2013, 12:10 AM EST
UPDATE: Per Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Harper’s agent, Scott Boras, said that his client received 11 stitches but did not suffer a concussion. He also jammed his shoulder and will sent for an X-ray. It’s not clear when he’ll play next, but it sounds like relatively good news under the circumstances. We should know more during the day on Tuesday.
12:10 AM: Bryce Harper left tonight’s game against the Dodgers in the bottom of the fifth inning after he crashed face-first into the right field wall at Dodger Stadium.
Harper suffered the injury when he was chasing after a ball off the bat of A.J. Ellis. He appeared to lose track of where he was before he ran into the fence at full-speed. The particular area he crashed into is not padded, so it made for a pretty scary impact.
Harper was on the ground for a couple of moments before he got to his feet and walked off the field under his own power, but he appeared dazed and had a cut on his chin and/or neck. The Nationals will undoubtedly send him for tests for a possible concussion.
You can watch video of the play below:
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)