May 14, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
I knew it was the Tommy Lasorda anniversary. I had no idea it was the anniversary of the Jose Oquendo game, too. Though I do remember that game well as it came against the Braves back when my entire life consisted of watching Braves games on TBS.
Chris Jaffe takes us on a walk down memory lane of this 19-inning affair, with all of the details of what made this “The Jose Oquendo Game.” The fact that pitcher Jose DeLeon played the outfield — switching back and forth between left and right ELEVEN TIMES — didn’t even make it rate in naming it. The fact that Rick Mahler — a starter — came in from the pen and thew eight scoreless innings with just three hits and three walks while WINNING THE GAME for the godawful 1988 Braves doesn’t rate either.
No, it was the Jose Oquendo game, as the super-duper utility player, who may have been my favorite player on that field that day even though he wasn’t a Brave, pitched FOUR INNINGS in relief. He had no choice, really. As Jaffe explains, the Cardinals pitching staff was totally toasted after a stretch of nine straight days of games and an extended extra innings game just a couple days before.
Oquendo pitched two other times in his career, once in 1987, once in 1991. But he those were each an inning. This one was something else.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (197)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)