May 14, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
I knew it was the Tommy Lasorda anniversary. I had no idea it was the anniversary of the Jose Oquendo game, too. Though I do remember that game well as it came against the Braves back when my entire life consisted of watching Braves games on TBS.
Chris Jaffe takes us on a walk down memory lane of this 19-inning affair, with all of the details of what made this “The Jose Oquendo Game.” The fact that pitcher Jose DeLeon played the outfield — switching back and forth between left and right ELEVEN TIMES — didn’t even make it rate in naming it. The fact that Rick Mahler — a starter — came in from the pen and thew eight scoreless innings with just three hits and three walks while WINNING THE GAME for the godawful 1988 Braves doesn’t rate either.
No, it was the Jose Oquendo game, as the super-duper utility player, who may have been my favorite player on that field that day even though he wasn’t a Brave, pitched FOUR INNINGS in relief. He had no choice, really. As Jaffe explains, the Cardinals pitching staff was totally toasted after a stretch of nine straight days of games and an extended extra innings game just a couple days before.
Oquendo pitched two other times in his career, once in 1987, once in 1991. But he those were each an inning. This one was something else.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)