May 14, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
I knew it was the Tommy Lasorda anniversary. I had no idea it was the anniversary of the Jose Oquendo game, too. Though I do remember that game well as it came against the Braves back when my entire life consisted of watching Braves games on TBS.
Chris Jaffe takes us on a walk down memory lane of this 19-inning affair, with all of the details of what made this “The Jose Oquendo Game.” The fact that pitcher Jose DeLeon played the outfield — switching back and forth between left and right ELEVEN TIMES — didn’t even make it rate in naming it. The fact that Rick Mahler — a starter — came in from the pen and thew eight scoreless innings with just three hits and three walks while WINNING THE GAME for the godawful 1988 Braves doesn’t rate either.
No, it was the Jose Oquendo game, as the super-duper utility player, who may have been my favorite player on that field that day even though he wasn’t a Brave, pitched FOUR INNINGS in relief. He had no choice, really. As Jaffe explains, the Cardinals pitching staff was totally toasted after a stretch of nine straight days of games and an extended extra innings game just a couple days before.
Oquendo pitched two other times in his career, once in 1987, once in 1991. But he those were each an inning. This one was something else.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)