Happy 35th Anniversary, Tommy Lasorda/Dave Kingman rant!

May 14, 2013, 8:39 AM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

A couple of weeks ago we celebrated the 20th anniversary of Hal McRae’s famous meltdown and the 30th anniversary of Lee Elia’s rant against the Cubs fans.  Let’s mark the third in the Holy Trinity of Manager Meltdowns: 35 years ago today, someone asked Tommy Lasorda what he “thought of Kingman’s performance” after Dave Kingman hit three homers and drove in eight against the Dodgers. Tommy:

“What’s my opinion of Kingman’s performance?” Lasorda said. “What the (expletive) do you think my opinion is of it? I think it was (expletive). Put that in. I don’t (expletive) care. What’s my opinion of his performance? (expletive). He beat us with three (expletive) home runs.

“What the (expletive) do you mean, ‘What is my opinion of his performance?’ How can you ask me a question like that? I’m (expletive) off to lose a (expletive) game, and you ask me my opinion of his performance?”

Audio of it — and it is unedited and, of course, profanity-laced, can be heard here. If you play it at work and get fired it’s all on you.

A few years ago Lasorda gave his reaction to the fame his comments soon acquired. Even Burt Reynolds thought it was great. And in 1978, what Burt Reynolds thought about things mattered.

1. deathmonkey41 - May 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM

One of the greatest rants ever. I have to give the edge to Hal Mcrae though. He used props and someone left his room bleeding.

2. mybrunoblog - May 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Calcaterra you just pissed off Burt Reynolds. Bad idea. Real bad idea……..

• heyblueyoustink - May 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Worse yet, no one asked Chuck Norris what he thought.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

You can’t ask Chuck Norris, because you can’t find Chuck Norris.

Don’t believe me? Google “Find Chuck Norris”….you will see….

• heyblueyoustink - May 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

You have to google “Find Chuck Norris i’m feeling lucky”, and since I use a different search engine, I got the punchline before the joke!

Thanks jerk! ( j/k , it’s still funny)

3. Old Gator - May 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

In twenty three years, you’ll need to add Slobbering Ozzie’s “I love Castro” rant to the list. Castro will probably still be alive, and Ozzie will probably still be looking for a job as color commentator.

• heyblueyoustink - May 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I think at this point, they’ve Clairvius Narcisse’ed the Castro brothers and no one knows what’s going on.

• deathmonkey41 - May 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I kind of like Ozzie’s “Bruce F#cking Chen” rant better.

4. rickdobrydney - May 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I usually can’t stand LA Lasorda, but that was and remains hilarious ——

5. js20011041 - May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I still like his rant about Bevacqua. That’s, in my opinion, the gold standard for manager rants.

6. mlblogstomsinger1 - May 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Little-known fact: Guy who asked that question? Paul Olden — now the voice of Yankee Stadium as the PA announcer.

7. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

As long as Burt Reynolds has a great mustache then his opinion still matters.

8. billyboots - May 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Anybody notice that Burt Reynolds links to Rotoworld and a profile of some Yankees farm hand? I thought Burt would have hung it up by now.

9. nothanksimdriving123 - May 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

We need some new material. Could someone please ask Tommy how he feels about marriage equality?

10. mgflolox - May 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Another brilliant, penetrating question from the 4th estate. THIS is why it’s so important for those jock-sniffers to have clubhouse access, and why they are the authorities and experts on the game.

11. deedee2die4 - May 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

35 years ago Tommy was a filthy mouthed old man. Today, he’s a filthy mouted drooler.

• hep3 - May 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM

You are a man after my own heart…….. I could not agree more.

In 1982 I wrote a letter to the LA Times that was published and opined that the Dodgers should retire Lasorda’s number with him in it.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline