May 14, 2013, 10:48 PM EDT
Cueto allowed no runs and just three hits over five innings against an affiliate of the Tigers, issuing no walks and fanning four. He threw 58 pitches — 39 for strikes — and then rattled off another 23 deliveries in the Fifth Third Field bullpen after exiting the game.
“Yeah, I’m feeling ready,” Cueto told Rosecrans in the Dayton Dragons clubhouse afterward. “I worked all my pitches like I would have had to in a real game. I approached it like a normal game.”
Cueto has been on the disabled list since April 15 with a strained right lat. He is hoping to return to the Reds’ rotation at some point early next week. Mike Leake or Tony Cingrani will be demoted to make room.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12