Johnny Cueto sharp in rehab start, says he’s ready to return

May 14, 2013, 10:48 PM EDT

cueto getty Getty Images

C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer was with the Low-A Dayton Dragons on Tuesday night to take in Johnny Cueto‘s latest minor league rehab start. And he reported back promising news.

Cueto allowed no runs and just three hits over five innings against an affiliate of the Tigers, issuing no walks and fanning four. He threw 58 pitches — 39 for strikes — and then rattled off another 23 deliveries in the Fifth Third Field bullpen after exiting the game.

“Yeah, I’m feeling ready,” Cueto told Rosecrans in the Dayton Dragons clubhouse afterward. “I worked all my pitches like I would have had to in a real game. I approached it like a normal game.”

Cueto has been on the disabled list since April 15 with a strained right lat. He is hoping to return to the Reds’ rotation at some point early next week. Mike Leake or Tony Cingrani will be demoted to make room.

1. thomas844 - May 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Nice to hear he was ready for bullpen work after pitching in the game. Sounds like he’s ready to join the Reds, should give them a nice boost to catch the Cards! I just wonder who gets the boot from the rotation: Leake or Cingrani?

2. bengalsucker - May 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Old Gator ignorant comment in 5….4….3….2….1

anyway…I think Cingrani will go back. they had to move him back in the rotation for an extra day off bc of shoulder soreness. and they want him to work more on his secondary pitches

• Old Gator - May 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Bengalsucker mindless ass kissing defense of brutal little coward…5..4..3…2..1….

Main thing is, he won’t be sliming his way through Macondo this week and heaping his own brand of disgrace upon what we already have to deal with in the Feesh’s play, their owner’s incompetence and our elected “representative’s” collusion in his massive ripoff of the community. It’s just as well; the Reds don’t need him to hand the Feesh their tails, as Bailey demonstrated last night, and it’s a comparative pleasure not to have to see Cueto’s nauseating presence on the mound here. We’ll keep our Immodium fresh in the medicine cabinet until next season.

• Marty McKee - May 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

How come when 25 guys gang up on Chuck Norris and he kicks them in the face, he’s a hero, but when Cueto does it, he’s a coward?

• Old Gator - May 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

What 25 guys were “ganging up” on Cueto? The unconscious one lying at his feet that he kept on kicking with his cleats? Otherwise it was a free-for-all. Watch the video, idiot.

• Marty McKee - May 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Oh, now it’s a free-for-all. Well, the last thing anyone should do when pushed against a brick wall in a free-for-all is use any means available to protect oneself from harm.

• Old Gator - May 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Leaving aside for a moment whether or not he was “pinned against the wall” – the video shows he had ways out to his left and right, no one else piled against him and enough legroom to extend those lethal cleats of his – then he should have peed on LaRue. That would also have been in keeping with his level of…uh…bravery in action.

• stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Not to mention the absolute fact the dude was dancing around the crowd trying to sucker punch someone. That is EXACTLY how he got pinned up by the crowd…and ultimately the backstop. But yeah….he was defending himself. As a result of his punkishness.
        Alright…I will try to do a better job of letting it go by not commenting on it for a while.
        My goal…no comments about it for three months. Does’t sound like much. But that’ll certainly be progress. Lol!

3. hoopmatch - May 15, 2013 at 6:23 AM

And no pitcher in MLB hits as well as Leake.

4. bengalsucker - May 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Ahh Old Gator, you never let me down buddy. I know if I see Cueto’s name on an article, I’ll see your old, grumpy (sometimes I wonder if it’s menstrual??) hind parts in here talking about how terrible he is while you’re watching your cholo homeboy play for the Cards. lol While you’re getting your Immodium, you should pick up some Midol and a fresh pack of tampax. Sounds like Aunt Flow is rolling into town.

• jm91rs - May 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Stop it. I’m all for Gator bashing when it comes to his ridiculous Cueto obsession (he’s just trolling Reds fans, hoping you’ll bite), but for the one millionth time he’s not a Cards fan. If you’re going to keep baiting him, get it right.

• deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Correct- he’s a Jeffery Loria fan!!!

• Old Gator - May 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Bengalsucker, at the risk of wasting my pearls of clarity before the swine of your obstinate stupidity, please note that I had not posted anything on this thread until you summoned me out of my comfy little mudhole with your gratuitous baiting. And, if you go back a few more Cueto threads, you’ll also notice – assuming that your incipient density permits you to notice anything not communicated to you by those chirping voices inside your head – that most of my recent posts on the subject of your resident thug have also been in response to such gratuitous invitations from you and your fellow homeboys.

In The Six Wives of Henry VIII – a highly literate drama that I doubt you could have made it through to get to this point in the series – the Duke of York informs the soon-to-be queen Catherine Howard that his ancestor survived being beheaded at the end of the War of the Roses by claiming that he followed the Crown and would serve a fencepost if the Crown were placed upon it. Just so, contrary to what jm91rs thinks, I have nothing in for Reds fans per se. I do, though, have a surplus of contempt for Cueto the swine and for his morally indiscriminate admirers. If he were, say, traded to Minnesota or Seattle or Kansas City, my contempt would follow him.

• stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Sucker:
      Hahahaha! Funny post.
      Just a couple of questions/comments…
      The Cardinals have a Mexican gangster on the team? Who knew? Who is it? Jaime?
      Gator is NOT…repeat…NOT a Cardinals fan. He is a Marlins fan. Again…a Marlins fan.
      It is possible (quite likely really) for one to NOT be a Cardinals fan and still NOT like the Redlegs, little Joanie…and the mouth at 2nd Base.

• Old Gator - May 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

And I repeat, it’s not the Reds I have a problem with – it’s one particular member of the team, period. He would have been much more at home under Marge.

• stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I hear you Gator. I was really just pointing out that one can not like someone on the Reds and not actually be a Cardinals fan. It’s like some people think the two things are mutually inclusive.

5. stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Glad to hear little Joanie is coming back. I have really missed her.

6. deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I heard part of his rehab was practicing with the Rockettes.

7. theallegedone - May 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Leake or Cingrani will be demoted? NO. LEAKE SHOULD HAVE HIS RIGHTS TRADED TO JAPAN! HE’S TERRIBLE. No way Cingrani should go down.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3505)