May 14, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Houston has placed second baseman Jose Altuve on the bereavement list following the death of his grandmother. Players on bereavement leave must be inactive for a minimum of three days and a maximum of seven days.
Altuve left last night’s game with a dislocated jaw that he immediately vowed to play through, but now he’ll be out of the lineup for at least a few days while being replaced on the roster by Triple-A call-up Jake Elmore.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)