Josh Beckett could be DL’d to make room for Zack Greinke

May 14, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Josh Beckett

Josh Beckett‘s 2013 continued in its nightmarish fashion last night. He moved to 0-5 after losing to the Nats, giving up four runs — two earned — in three innings. His ERA went up to 5.19 and, as a capper, he “tweaked his groin,” which sounds way more fun than it actually is.

Beckett said after the game that he feels well enough to pitch, and Don Mattingly was rather vague about all of the “little stuff” that is currently ailing Beckett, but Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles says that the Dodgers may DL Beckett before tomorrow, which is when Zack Greinke is supposed to come off the DL to face the Nationals.

I’m no doctor, but I think Beckett presents as a classic case of “put him on the DL because he kinds sucks right now-itis.” It’s a curable disease, but one that definitely takes a lot out of the patient as it runs its course.

1. proudlycanadian - May 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I assume that he food and libations in LA don’t agree with him.

2. natslady - May 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We were warned, but I was still unprepared for the way this guy pitches. Man, he is SLOW. Chris Sale could throw three innings before Beckett gets one out–especially with runners on base. Talk about a human rain delay…

• faulkner22 - May 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Welcome to the last 6 years watching him in Boston.

He’d average 30-48s between pitches.

Wonder why RS games (esp. BOS/NYY) were always 4 hours?

3. mybrunoblog - May 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

There is a KFC on Glendale Blvd which is about 10 minutes from Chavez Ravine. Plenty of liquor stores in the neighborhood too. Beckett is all good.

• jwbiii - May 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM

But he’s probably been hanging out at one or more of these places.

4. psousa1 - May 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Seen this act before. Give him an out or an excuse and he will take it. Last year w/Boston – he made his usual mess: bases loaded, no out, already gave up 4 runs and he pulls the Rodney Dangerfield playing Judge Smails in Caddyshack (faking an injury to get out of the game) “Oh, my arm, my arm!”

How the hell did the Red Sox convince the Dodgers to take him?

• jwbiii - May 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Or maybe this, from yesterday’s Niese thread

Joe – May 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

If you don’t play through pain, you’re a wuss. If you do play through pain, you’re a liability.

By the way, if you see a post from Joe, click on his blog. He’s really good at photography.

5. kjericho43 - May 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Best. Trade. Ever.

6. sfm073 - May 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

7. faulkner22 - May 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It will be repeated forever: Magic Johnson made himself more beloved in Boston than Larry Bird with “the trade”.

8. belichickrulz - May 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM

For all of Red Sox Nation, I’d like to thank the Dodgers from the bottom of my heart for their part in the greatest trade in Red Sox history. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Bwah hah hah hah!

• j0esixpack - May 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I too thank the Dodgers for taking all those salary cap albatross’s away

But I’m not rooting for them all to suck. In my view the Dodgers deserve to get some ROI for the favor they did

I actually hope Beckett can turn things around

9. moogro - May 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Wow, he’s frustrating to watch. Unscientific but, that fat face and baby fat on the chin- he just looks lazy. And he is.

Three legends off to Cooperstown