May 14, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com has the story from Rogers Centre:
Giants managerBruce Bochy presented the four-month sensation turned disgraced outfielder with the signature baby blue Tiffany bag. The exchange was made where lenses and note pads couldn’t go, in a tunnel between the two clubhouses – a private affair, which is what Cabrera wanted.
“It’s not like we had a plan,” Bochy said. “Between him wanting to get ready for the game and having a preference for a more private deal, that was up to him.”
It didn’t last long. Bochy and PR official Matt Chisholm reappeared barely a minute later. Cabrera thanked the Giants, thanked Bochy, offered the manager a hug and took possession of the bag without stopping to open it.
Cabrera batted .346/.390/.516 with 11 homers and 60 RBI in 113 games last season for the Giants before getting busted in mid-August for a positive testosterone test. The 28-year-old signed a two-year, $16 million free agent contract with the Blue Jays this winter and is hitting .261/.298/.338 through his first 39 games.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 22
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 35
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)