May 14, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com has the story from Rogers Centre:
Giants managerBruce Bochy presented the four-month sensation turned disgraced outfielder with the signature baby blue Tiffany bag. The exchange was made where lenses and note pads couldn’t go, in a tunnel between the two clubhouses – a private affair, which is what Cabrera wanted.
“It’s not like we had a plan,” Bochy said. “Between him wanting to get ready for the game and having a preference for a more private deal, that was up to him.”
It didn’t last long. Bochy and PR official Matt Chisholm reappeared barely a minute later. Cabrera thanked the Giants, thanked Bochy, offered the manager a hug and took possession of the bag without stopping to open it.
Cabrera batted .346/.390/.516 with 11 homers and 60 RBI in 113 games last season for the Giants before getting busted in mid-August for a positive testosterone test. The 28-year-old signed a two-year, $16 million free agent contract with the Blue Jays this winter and is hitting .261/.298/.338 through his first 39 games.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)