May 14, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
As expected the Orioles placed left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the disabled list with an oblique injury suffered Sunday. And to take his spot on the roster and in the rotation Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re calling up right-hander Jair Jurrjens from Triple-A.
Jurrjens hasn’t been healthy and effective since mid-2011 and his original contract with the Orioles was voided and turned into a minor-league deal when doctors didn’t like what they saw with his right knee.
He’s been healthy in the minors and his 3.14 ERA looks pretty, but a 36/15 K/BB ratio in 52 innings against Triple-A hitters isn’t particularly impressive. According to Rosenthal he’ll make his Orioles debut Saturday versus the Rays.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 12
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)