May 14, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
As expected the Orioles placed left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the disabled list with an oblique injury suffered Sunday. And to take his spot on the roster and in the rotation Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re calling up right-hander Jair Jurrjens from Triple-A.
Jurrjens hasn’t been healthy and effective since mid-2011 and his original contract with the Orioles was voided and turned into a minor-league deal when doctors didn’t like what they saw with his right knee.
He’s been healthy in the minors and his 3.14 ERA looks pretty, but a 36/15 K/BB ratio in 52 innings against Triple-A hitters isn’t particularly impressive. According to Rosenthal he’ll make his Orioles debut Saturday versus the Rays.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)