May 14, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
As expected the Orioles placed left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the disabled list with an oblique injury suffered Sunday. And to take his spot on the roster and in the rotation Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re calling up right-hander Jair Jurrjens from Triple-A.
Jurrjens hasn’t been healthy and effective since mid-2011 and his original contract with the Orioles was voided and turned into a minor-league deal when doctors didn’t like what they saw with his right knee.
He’s been healthy in the minors and his 3.14 ERA looks pretty, but a 36/15 K/BB ratio in 52 innings against Triple-A hitters isn’t particularly impressive. According to Rosenthal he’ll make his Orioles debut Saturday versus the Rays.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)