May 14, 2013, 5:59 PM EST
With their shortstop’s price tag likely increasing by the day, the Brewers have pitched Jean Segura and agent Joe Klein a long-term deal that could take the 23-year-old through his arbitration years and into free agency.
Segura, named the NL’s Player of the Week on Monday, is batting .368/.412/.588 with six homers and 13 steals in 136 at-bats this season. He leads the NL in average and steals, plus he’s tied for first with three triples. The Brewers acquired him from the Angels last summer in the Zack Greinke deal.
“They contacted me,” Klein told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal. “Right now, I guess it’s in my court. But with a guy this young, it’s hard to figure out what the right numbers would be.
“It would be good, be nice if it was possible to do. But I don’t know. It’s way, way on the drawing board.”
Assuming that he doesn’t spend any more time in the minors, Segura will be eligible for arbitration after the 2015 season and free agency after 2018.
It’s rare for players with so little service time to sign long-term deals. Fellow shortstops Troy Tulowitzki, Starlin Castro and Alcides Escobar all had over a year in when they got their long-term deals. The Rays’ Evan Longoria signed a few days after reaching the majors, and he was a huge bargain on a six-year, $17.5 million contract that included options for his first three seasons of free agency. Royals catcher Salvador Perez agreed to an astonishingly low five-year, $7 million deal after 39 big-league games. Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo, of course, just signed a seven-year, $41 million contract while possessing a bit more than a year of service time.
A reasonable deal for Segura would be worth about $25 million through his arbitration years. Any free agent years after that would probably cost at least $10 million apiece. Rizzo gave up his first year of free agency for $11 million.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)