May 14, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
He was forced to exit the game against the Rangers because of an upset stomach. … Cespedes ran out to center field to warm up for the fifth inning but ran back to the dugout before the frame began.
I’m sure most human beings can relate to the agony involved in having an “upset stomach” in a public place, but I can’t even imagine that happening while you’re playing a sport in front of thousands of people in the crowd and on television.
And then doofus bloggers write about it the next day, too. Poor guy.
(The good news, however, is that Cespedes is now qualified to be a guest on Doug Mand’s podcast.)
UPDATE: OK, so I’m told Cespedes may have swallowed his chewing tobacco, which is a slightly different kind of “upset stomach” than I’d assumed. But still. Rough night.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (136)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)