May 14, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Marc Carig of Newsday reports that Mets prospect Zack Wheeler has been pulled out of the rotation at Triple-A Las Vegas and sent to New York City for an examination by team doctors after complaining of some soreness in his right clavicle (or collarbone).
The Mets do not think that Wheeler has a serious injury and are hopeful that he will be ready to rejoin the Las Vegas 51s at some point next week.
Wheeler has posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio in 43 1/3 innings this season in the minor leagues. The 22-year-old right-hander should arrive in the major leagues for good later this summer.
Wheeler ranked 11th on Baseball America‘s listing of the Top 100 prospects this past winter.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)