May 14, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Marc Carig of Newsday reports that Mets prospect Zack Wheeler has been pulled out of the rotation at Triple-A Las Vegas and sent to New York City for an examination by team doctors after complaining of some soreness in his right clavicle (or collarbone).
The Mets do not think that Wheeler has a serious injury and are hopeful that he will be ready to rejoin the Las Vegas 51s at some point next week.
Wheeler has posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio in 43 1/3 innings this season in the minor leagues. The 22-year-old right-hander should arrive in the major leagues for good later this summer.
Wheeler ranked 11th on Baseball America‘s listing of the Top 100 prospects this past winter.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 51
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)