May 15, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
Ryan Madson was hoping to finally join the Angels’ bullpen this weekend. But that will not be happening.
According to beat writer Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the right-hander is going to spend “several weeks” on a minor league rehab assignment at Triple-A Salt Lake before being cleared to pitch in the major leagues. Madson thinks he’s ready right now, but he has experienced multiple setbacks in his nearly 14-month recovery from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery and the Angels want to play this cautiously.
“I can pitch here today and get people out,” Madson told reporters Wednesday evening. “That’s just how I feel.”
The 32-year-old inked a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with the Halos this past winter. He was expected to open the season as their closer, but Ernesto Frieri is currently running away with that job.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)