May 15, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
Bryce Harper needed 11 stitches and, I assume, smelling salts, after running into the fence at Dodger Stadium Monday night. But is he gonne change?
I will keep playing this game hard for the rest of my life even if it kills me! Ill never stop! #RespectTheGame
— Bryce Harper (@Bharper3407) May 14, 2013
Nope. And Bryce, that’s exactly what we’re all afraid of, dude. Indeed, that tweet reminds me of this thing, from one of my favorite books ever:
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Has a story about Harper’s reckless abandon today. It’s a good read, and generally I agree with Brown’s take: hey, it’s Harper’s body and if he wants to destroy it running into walls, who are we to hate on him for it?
But I’ll also admit to no small amount of Harper fanboyism and because of that I’d really, really like to not see him break down before he’s 35.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 20
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)