May 15, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
Bryce Harper needed 11 stitches and, I assume, smelling salts, after running into the fence at Dodger Stadium Monday night. But is he gonne change?
I will keep playing this game hard for the rest of my life even if it kills me! Ill never stop! #RespectTheGame
— Bryce Harper (@Bharper3407) May 14, 2013
Nope. And Bryce, that’s exactly what we’re all afraid of, dude. Indeed, that tweet reminds me of this thing, from one of my favorite books ever:
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Has a story about Harper’s reckless abandon today. It’s a good read, and generally I agree with Brown’s take: hey, it’s Harper’s body and if he wants to destroy it running into walls, who are we to hate on him for it?
But I’ll also admit to no small amount of Harper fanboyism and because of that I’d really, really like to not see him break down before he’s 35.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)