May 15, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
Bryce Harper needed 11 stitches and, I assume, smelling salts, after running into the fence at Dodger Stadium Monday night. But is he gonne change?
I will keep playing this game hard for the rest of my life even if it kills me! Ill never stop! #RespectTheGame
— Bryce Harper (@Bharper3407) May 14, 2013
Nope. And Bryce, that’s exactly what we’re all afraid of, dude. Indeed, that tweet reminds me of this thing, from one of my favorite books ever:
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Has a story about Harper’s reckless abandon today. It’s a good read, and generally I agree with Brown’s take: hey, it’s Harper’s body and if he wants to destroy it running into walls, who are we to hate on him for it?
But I’ll also admit to no small amount of Harper fanboyism and because of that I’d really, really like to not see him break down before he’s 35.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (268)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)