May 15, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
Bryce Harper needed 11 stitches and, I assume, smelling salts, after running into the fence at Dodger Stadium Monday night. But is he gonne change?
I will keep playing this game hard for the rest of my life even if it kills me! Ill never stop! #RespectTheGame
— Bryce Harper (@Bharper3407) May 14, 2013
Nope. And Bryce, that’s exactly what we’re all afraid of, dude. Indeed, that tweet reminds me of this thing, from one of my favorite books ever:
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Has a story about Harper’s reckless abandon today. It’s a good read, and generally I agree with Brown’s take: hey, it’s Harper’s body and if he wants to destroy it running into walls, who are we to hate on him for it?
But I’ll also admit to no small amount of Harper fanboyism and because of that I’d really, really like to not see him break down before he’s 35.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)