Bryce Harper is going to continue running into walls

May 15, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT

Bryce Harper needed 11 stitches and, I assume, smelling salts, after running into the fence at Dodger Stadium Monday night.  But is he gonne change?

Nope. And Bryce, that’s exactly what we’re all afraid of, dude. Indeed, that tweet reminds me of this thing, from one of my favorite books ever:

source:

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Has a story about Harper’s reckless abandon today. It’s a good read, and generally I agree with Brown’s take: hey, it’s Harper’s body and if he wants to destroy it running into walls, who are we to hate on him for it?

But I’ll also admit to no small amount of Harper fanboyism and because of that I’d really, really like to not see him break down before he’s 35.

1. goskinsvt - May 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I just don’t see how anyone who looked at the play the other night could objectively say he MEANT to run into that wall. He was pulling up even before he ran into it like he was trying to play a carom off the wall. I think this was a situation more akin to not being aware of his surroundings than him ‘playing too hard’. Comes with inexperience at the position (that was his 6th game in RF this entire season). Maybe I’m totally wrong, but I don’t think you’ll see many more plays like this from him again in the future.

• nightman13 - May 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Exactly, he ran into the wall by accident, but he’s trying to spin it as going all out to avoid embarrassment. He’d be better off saying it was the lights or something like that that made him disoriented.

Might as well own running into the wall rather than try to “fool” everybody. Put the thing to bed by saying, “Man, I expected to run into the rookie wall LAST year”

2. grandcards - May 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM

While I’ll be the first to admit that Harper is an all-out hustle type of guy, I think we need to dispense with the myth that he crashed into the wall the other day as part of some “whatever it takes, play each day like its your last” attitude. Unlike many other full-speed wall smashes, where the player is making a play on the ball (looking at you Aaron Rowand), video evidence looks pretty convincing that Harper had started to slow down to play the ball off the wall, and either lost his bearings or had his depth perception messed up by the video board.

It had about as much never-say-die hustle as someone walking into a parked car while on their cellphone.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM

“video evidence looks pretty convincing that Harper had started to slow down to play the ball off the wall, and either lost his bearings or had his depth perception messed up by the video board.”

Exactly – but the Kool Aid tastes so good, writers would rather wax poetic.

He plays hard (as do dozens of others guys, they just aren;’t hitting .350), but this was one was Chevy Chase

3. billyboots - May 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Now, if Bryce really were the second coming of Jesus, he could run through the wall.

• heyblueyoustink - May 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

4. crashdavis99 - May 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Careful there Bryce, we don’t want another “Bartholomew ‘Bump’ Bailey” on our hands!

5. tvguy22 - May 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m a Phillies fan, but I do like to watch this kid play, certainly moreso than a lot of these pampered babies you see today.

6. abaird2012 - May 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

As Vin noted during the game in which the fateful collision happened: Pete Reiser!

7. chacochicken - May 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Bryce, Give Grady Sizemore a call. That guy played hard for what? about three years? Four?

• 18thstreet - May 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Also, give Larry Bird a call. Playing this way made him a hero.

8. historiophiliac - May 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Punks.

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

“Is he going to change? Nope”

Change what? He hit the wall by accident. Saying he is going to keep doing that is like Ryan Howard saying he is going to keep blowing out his achilles.

I’m glad he is okay and all – but he wasn’t Tim McCarthy on that one.

10. indaburg - May 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Running into walls is no way to go through life, son.

• heyblueyoustink - May 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

So, “I’d run through a brick wall for her” need not apply? ;-)

• indaburg - May 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM

There are less painful ways to impress a girl. Write her a song. Fewer concussions and stitches.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM

You are my hero!! You have the quote of the week – and I can’t say anyone over taking that one for all of May

For all you 12 years old who did not get the refernece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

11. rcali - May 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Not if he wants a huge new contract. Somebody smart will sit him down and get him straight.

12. pesky99 - May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

What a douche!

harper did that on purpose, the video playback made it very clear!!!

He sees the ball is out of reach, then he is looking right at the wall for at least 3-4 steps- so he sees what is coming!

He could have at least held his arms out or something- instead he puts his big-ego-head out there to get it wrecked and get a cool scar and show some blood so he can live up to the ridiculous hype that the press has put upon him.

He’s a kid trying to impress everyone, knows his team is underachieving this season, and wants to draw some attention away from that fact.

Or, he is just as stupid as he looks!!!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet