May 15, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
A frightening development tonight for Tampa Bay.
Rays left-hander David Price made an early exit from his start against the Red Sox after feeling some discomfort in his left triceps muscle. He appeared to be clenching his fist when a trainer came out to visit him, which suggests that there might have been pain shooting down his entire arm.
Price threw a scoreless first and second inning but yielded a walk and three singles in the third before departing. He wound up being charged with four earned runs on five hits and a walk in 2 1/3 innings. Jamey Wright relieved him and promptly allowed another four earned.
Price, 27, has an ugly 5.24 ERA and 1.44 WHIP through 55 total frames this season. He entered the year with a 3.16 career ERA and a 1.17 career WHIP. The Rays will reevaluate him on Thursday.
If Price needs a stint on the disabled list, the Rays could turn to top pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi.
UPDATE, 11:01 PM EDT: Rays manager Joe Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times after the game that Price has been diagnosed with a left triceps strain. He already underwent an MRI and Maddon said “nothing seems to be serious,” but Price is still likely to miss a couple of starts.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)