May 15, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
A frightening development tonight for Tampa Bay.
Rays left-hander David Price made an early exit from his start against the Red Sox after feeling some discomfort in his left triceps muscle. He appeared to be clenching his fist when a trainer came out to visit him, which suggests that there might have been pain shooting down his entire arm.
Price threw a scoreless first and second inning but yielded a walk and three singles in the third before departing. He wound up being charged with four earned runs on five hits and a walk in 2 1/3 innings. Jamey Wright relieved him and promptly allowed another four earned.
Price, 27, has an ugly 5.24 ERA and 1.44 WHIP through 55 total frames this season. He entered the year with a 3.16 career ERA and a 1.17 career WHIP. The Rays will reevaluate him on Thursday.
If Price needs a stint on the disabled list, the Rays could turn to top pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi.
UPDATE, 11:01 PM EDT: Rays manager Joe Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times after the game that Price has been diagnosed with a left triceps strain. He already underwent an MRI and Maddon said “nothing seems to be serious,” but Price is still likely to miss a couple of starts.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)