May 15, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
Struggling to think if this is more weird or more insignificant. Hank Schulman of the Chronicle thinks Melky Cabrera is lying about why Bruce Bochy gave him his World Series ring in private yesterday as opposed to in some public “ceremony” of sorts. Cabrera said it was Bochy’ idea. Bochy said a Blue Jays official suggested it. Schulman said “I believe that’s a whopper of a lie.”
Maybe. Or it’s possible that, as often happens with baseball players and managers, all of whom have team officials and media relations people and all manner of other people telling them where to go and when around the ballpark all day, there was some sort of miscommunication as opposed to “a whopper of a lie.” Maybe Blue Jays and/or Giants officials didn’t want it to be a thing and told little white lies. Or maybe, like any good game of corporate telephone, the message was garbled down the line.
Or maybe people just want to believe that, when there is a he-said, he-said, that Melky is a liar and that’s the end of it.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 75
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)