May 15, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have officially activated right-hander Zack Greinke from the 15-day disabled list. He will make his third start of the 2013 regular season on Wednesday night against the visiting Nationals.
To clear a roster spot, right-hander Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list with a strained right groin muscle. He suffered the injury while covering first base on a groundout Monday evening and will likely need over three weeks of recovery time.
Greinke has been out since fracturing his left collarbone during an April 11 brawl with Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin. The 29-year-old made only one rehab start and did not look very sharp, but the 16-22 Dodgers didn’t want to wait another week.
Greinke signed a six-year, $147 million free agent contract with Los Angeles this winter.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)