May 15, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have officially activated right-hander Zack Greinke from the 15-day disabled list. He will make his third start of the 2013 regular season on Wednesday night against the visiting Nationals.
To clear a roster spot, right-hander Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list with a strained right groin muscle. He suffered the injury while covering first base on a groundout Monday evening and will likely need over three weeks of recovery time.
Greinke has been out since fracturing his left collarbone during an April 11 brawl with Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin. The 29-year-old made only one rehab start and did not look very sharp, but the 16-22 Dodgers didn’t want to wait another week.
Greinke signed a six-year, $147 million free agent contract with Los Angeles this winter.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 64
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (278)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)