May 15, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have officially activated right-hander Zack Greinke from the 15-day disabled list. He will make his third start of the 2013 regular season on Wednesday night against the visiting Nationals.
To clear a roster spot, right-hander Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list with a strained right groin muscle. He suffered the injury while covering first base on a groundout Monday evening and will likely need over three weeks of recovery time.
Greinke has been out since fracturing his left collarbone during an April 11 brawl with Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin. The 29-year-old made only one rehab start and did not look very sharp, but the 16-22 Dodgers didn’t want to wait another week.
Greinke signed a six-year, $147 million free agent contract with Los Angeles this winter.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (83)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (82)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)