May 15, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have officially activated right-hander Zack Greinke from the 15-day disabled list. He will make his third start of the 2013 regular season on Wednesday night against the visiting Nationals.
To clear a roster spot, right-hander Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list with a strained right groin muscle. He suffered the injury while covering first base on a groundout Monday evening and will likely need over three weeks of recovery time.
Greinke has been out since fracturing his left collarbone during an April 11 brawl with Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin. The 29-year-old made only one rehab start and did not look very sharp, but the 16-22 Dodgers didn’t want to wait another week.
Greinke signed a six-year, $147 million free agent contract with Los Angeles this winter.
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 7
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 50
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 88
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (88)