May 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Jered Weaver threw 60 pitches in what Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com called a “high intensity bullpen session” yesterday and felt so good that he declared himself ready to begin a minor-league rehab assignment.
Or more accurately pitch one rehab game and then rejoin the Angels’ rotation, because Weaver made it clear he doesn’t think he’ll need a long stint in the minors before returning from a broken left elbow.
Of course, Weaver isn’t making the call on his recovery timetable and manager Mike Scioscia reiterated to Gonzalez that the plan is for the right-hander to make at least two rehab starts. That means he won’t be back until late this month or early next month. He was injured on April 7.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)