May 15, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Back in 2010 Jeremy Affeldt negotiated a deal with the Giants in which he was to be paid $4 million that year. Someone mistakenly wrote in $4.5 million in the paperwork and, according to everyone involved, including Giants officials, Affeldt was totally within his legal rights to keep it. Who turns down a free-and-clear half a million bucks?
Affeldt does. Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle relays what happened with all of that as told by Affeldt in his latest book. I would hope we’d all feel the way Affeldt did in that situation. Not sure we all would, though.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)