May 15, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
I don’t follow too many ballplayers on Twitter because most ballplayer Twitter accounts are uninteresting. But I follow a couple and, occasionally, some are retweeted into my timeline. Occasionally, late in the night, some of them will tweet funny and/or interesting things about that night’s game. Two made me chuckle in the wee hours this morning:
They say solo HR’s can’t beat you…unless you give up 4 of them. Get em next time. #Royals
I feel like maybe we’re in some fleeting sweet spot where ballplayers, so thoroughly conditioned to say nothing interesting to beat reporters in the clubhouse, will still show a little personality on social media. That door will likely close soon too as agents and team PR officials take greater control over that aspect of the game. Or when some ballplayer says something that crosses a line and gets himself released or something.
Also: we’re really not making a big enough deal about the fact that Jeremy Guthrie calls himself “JGuts.”
Until then, viva ballplayers with personalities.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)