Late Nite Ballplayer Twitter

May 15, 2013, 8:23 AM EST

I don’t follow too many ballplayers on Twitter because most ballplayer Twitter accounts are uninteresting. But I follow a couple and, occasionally, some are retweeted into my timeline. Occasionally, late in the night, some of them will tweet funny and/or interesting things about that night’s game. Two made me chuckle in the wee hours this morning:

I feel like maybe we’re in some fleeting sweet spot where ballplayers, so thoroughly conditioned to say nothing interesting to beat reporters in the clubhouse, will still show a little personality on social media. That door will likely close soon too as agents and team PR officials take greater control over that aspect of the game. Or when some ballplayer says something that crosses a line and gets himself released or something.

Also: we’re really not making a big enough deal about the fact that Jeremy Guthrie calls himself “JGuts.”

Until then, viva ballplayers with personalities.

1. huffdaddyco - May 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Not only are we not making a big enough deal about the fact that Jeremy Guthrie calls himself JGuts, we aren’t making a big enough deal about the fact that his Twitter handle is “The RealJGuts”, because there is apparently a concern about someone co-opting the name for a fake account.

• bmorelikeme - May 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Not sure where it originated, but we always called him “guts” when he was here in Baltimore.

Also, he’s an awesome dude.

• supersnappy - May 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Total guess, but “guts” would sort of be short for “Guthrie”, in ball player nickname lingo

2. groundruledoublebourbon - May 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Between Guthrie and Duffy, we Royals fans have a pretty cool Twitter experience. Those two guys are honest, unfiltered, and take the time to interact with fans. Pretty cool to see — really hope Craig is wrong in predicting that this type of athlete communication will be phased out by agents, etc.

• heyblueyoustink - May 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Another true blue Royals fan?!?! Jinkies. wonder what the R Nought is on that…..

• sportsdrenched - May 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I’m like Craig, don’t follow many athletes, but Danny Duffy, & Guthrie are must follows. Duffy took over the Royals official Twitterfeed the other night. That was decent entertainment.

3. indaburg - May 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I hope you’re wrong about Twitter and agents too. Last night, Joe Maddon made the mistake of asking for plantain recipes to be sent to his Twitter account. I sent him several. I’m sure I am blocked from his account now.

4. jwbiii - May 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I really don’t have any idea who Sean Doolittle is, but I like this

What Would Ryan Lochte Do is probably my favorite show about an olympic swimmer who has the self awareness of a golden retriever.— Sean Doolittle (@whatwouldDOOdo) April 26, 2013

• APBA Guy - May 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

University of Virginia alum who relieves for the A’s. Great story:

• jwbiii - May 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

The Lisa Winston interview linked from that Wiki page makes him appear to be a smart, likable guy. He’s got a new fan.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester