Mark Teixeira expects to be back before June 1

May 15, 2013, 1:00 PM EST

We’ve been hearing early June for Mark Teixeira‘s return for some time. Today Teixeira said maybe it’ll be a bit earlier than that:

I never thought I’d root for the Yankees, but they need to keep winning once Teixeira, Jeter, A-Rod and everyone comes back or else we’re going to have months of hearing stuff about how the stars killed the awesome team chemistry they developed early in the season. And I really don’t think I can handle that.

1. mybrunoblog - May 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Well, if you look at the Yankees attendence numbers you would think that management can’t wait for the star platers to return.

2. moe0594 - May 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Good timing…. because he sucks in April and May…

3. flamethrower101 - May 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Wasn’t he transferred to the 60-day DL, and doesn’t that mean he CAN’T return before June 1? If so his remarks are basically moot

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I think they can use Spring Training dates as the start date, but I am not sure about that. I recall people saying that Jeter’s DL stint would be backdated so he would only have to miss the first few days of the regular season (ha!).

• Jeremy T - May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I’m pretty sure I remember reading that only the 15-day DL can be backdated, though

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

That could be. I saw somewhere else that the earliest he can return is May 30, which I suppose IS before June 1.

4. deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Take your time, Mark. Overbay is playing well in your absence. There’s plenty of time left in the season for you to jump out of your shoes trying to pull a ball and hit it directly into the shift.

• pisano - May 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

deathmonkey41….My sentiments exactly, Overbay is doing just fine, and probably doesn’t strikeout as much as Tex, but I’ll leave that to the stat guys.

• Joe - May 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Teixeira has struck out a little over 16% of his PAs since coming to NY. Overbay is striking out a little over 16% of his PAs since coming to NY. The difference being, that’s lower than normal for Overbay.

• deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I’m just tired of the homer or nothing approach the Yankees hitters have taken in recent years. That’s why I wasn’t devastated when Russell Martin left for Pitt.

• deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I don’t think it’s the strikeouts that bother me so much with Tex as much as his inability to hit away from the shift. Overbay seems to be hitting to all three fields.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The Yanks are 6th in MLB in HR this year.

• Kevin S. - May 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

And considering Overbay has a sub-.300 OBP, I’d say he’s got that “or nothing” part down pretty good.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Overbay has been surprisingly productive, and given approximately Teixeira’s average production. I would not count on Overbay continuing at his current level, and Tex has the potential for much more. Tex ain’t what he used to be, but he is still better than most.

Plus, last year he has an .864 OPS against LHP. Overbay has been shielded from LHP in recent years, and his .670 OPS against them would seem to justify that. Unless he learns how to play 3B real quick, his Yankees days are most likely numbered.

• djpostl - May 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

They need a back-up 1B so I wouldn’t count on that tbh. They have plenty of guys with options and will likely jettison Gonzalez once Nunez is back etc…

They will have to get creative but based on what the front office has done up to this point it isn’t something they can’t handle.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Who is the backup 1B now?

• djpostl - May 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Was supposed to be Youkilis & Ovebray until Teix came back but Youk’s balky back altered that plan. Technically Nix would be the other guy right now.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m not saying Overbay is bad, but I do think it would be an inefficient use of a roster sport to carry a pure 1B backup, when they already have a DH only guy in Haffner. Now it is debatable whether Overbay would be a worse use of a roster spot than Francisco, but I am hoping that neither guy is long for the roster.

• djpostl - May 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM

True but tbh with only being a DH and a long history of breaking down I think Hafner is the worse choice to keep lol. In the end, they’re going to have to get creative. If either Youk or Hafner ends up going on/staying on the DL around time Teix is ready it kind of buys them time though.

5. 13arod - May 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM

flamethrower101 he was transfored to the 60 day list but because he was on the 15 day list then it would carry over

6. randygnyc - May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Worry about other things Craig. The Yankees are always there come October 1st.

7. cackalackyank - May 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Considering I heard that Tex injury could be surgical/season ending at one point I hope they don’t shovel Overbay out the door too quickly. It would really suck if it turns out Tex re-injures the hand, or it doesn’t hold up under regular day-in day-out play, and Overbay has gone elsewhere by then.

• flamethrower101 - May 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I don’t think they would cut Overbay once Tex comes back. Considering he may need to ease his way back into action I’d expect them to keep him around a while, even as a bench player. He’s played admirably so far why would they want to just say “Hey thanks for helping us over here. Now get the hell out,” and then have Tex reinjury himself leaving them with no other options?

8. bigharold - May 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Keeping Overbay could be tricky. I think he only plays 1B and so does Youkilis. But, Youkilis can play 3B too. Granted, Youkilis is hurt and this could be an ongoing issue but Overbay’s limited defensive value hurts him a lot. I understand that Overbay has gotten some pretty important hits but he’s still hitting a mere .250ish with a sub .300 OBP.

If Teixeira comes back June 1st, that’s when the clock starts ticking for Overbay. Unless they have serious questions about either Teixeira or Youkilis, (especially since they’ll owe Youkilis the remainder of the 12 mil he signed for), I’d be surprised if Overbay is on the roister by mid-June.

Too bad because he’s been everything the Yankees could have hoped for and then some.

9. insidefastball - May 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I would be sorry to see Overbay go. I could see Youkilis, Tex, or both hitting the DL again this year, after they return from their current injuries. Neither one of them has managed to stay healthy for long over the past year and a half (granted Tex played through most of the injuries, but he was clearly nowhere near 100% at the end of last season). The Yanks might well need Overbay’s help again.

10. badintent - May 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Wish they had kept Rauuuuuuuuuuuul . He was one man wrecking crew tonight. His 19 homers last year were super clutch and his post game dingers were off the chart clutch.But Wells/Overbay has been a very nice addition and we’ll let Coach work out the details for some platooning.Rauuuuuuuuuuul !

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5192)