May 15, 2013, 10:29 PM EST
Phillies setup man Mike Adams hasn’t made an appearance since last Friday because of lower back discomfort. And he’s not getting closer to returning.
According to John Finger of CSNPhilly.com, the right-hander experienced lingering pain in his back Tuesday while trying to play catch and could be placed on the 15-day disabled list at some point this week. “I’ve pitched through a lot of injuries and pains,” said Adams. “I couldn’t even get through it.”
Adams was given an anti-inflammatory injection on Wednesday. If that doesn’t do the trick, the Phillies will almost certainly remove him from the active roster and call up a bullpen reinforcement.
The 34-year-old has posted a 3.00 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 15 innings (17 appearances) this season for Philadelphia. He signed a two-year, $12 million free agent contract with the Phillies this past winter.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)