May 15, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
Phillies setup man Mike Adams hasn’t made an appearance since last Friday because of lower back discomfort. And he’s not getting closer to returning.
According to John Finger of CSNPhilly.com, the right-hander experienced lingering pain in his back Tuesday while trying to play catch and could be placed on the 15-day disabled list at some point this week. “I’ve pitched through a lot of injuries and pains,” said Adams. “I couldn’t even get through it.”
Adams was given an anti-inflammatory injection on Wednesday. If that doesn’t do the trick, the Phillies will almost certainly remove him from the active roster and call up a bullpen reinforcement.
The 34-year-old has posted a 3.00 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 15 innings (17 appearances) this season for Philadelphia. He signed a two-year, $12 million free agent contract with the Phillies this past winter.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)