May 15, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
Phillies setup man Mike Adams hasn’t made an appearance since last Friday because of lower back discomfort. And he’s not getting closer to returning.
According to John Finger of CSNPhilly.com, the right-hander experienced lingering pain in his back Tuesday while trying to play catch and could be placed on the 15-day disabled list at some point this week. “I’ve pitched through a lot of injuries and pains,” said Adams. “I couldn’t even get through it.”
Adams was given an anti-inflammatory injection on Wednesday. If that doesn’t do the trick, the Phillies will almost certainly remove him from the active roster and call up a bullpen reinforcement.
The 34-year-old has posted a 3.00 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 15 innings (17 appearances) this season for Philadelphia. He signed a two-year, $12 million free agent contract with the Phillies this past winter.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)