May 15, 2013, 11:31 AM EST
And today the Phillies announced that they’ve signed Zambrano to a minor-league contract. So yeah, next time Amaro calls something “ridiculously premature” that’s just code for “will happen within a week.”
Obviously the Phillies can use rotation help with Roy Halladay out indefinitely and John Lannan also on the disabled list, but Zambrano is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel at this point. He’s still just 31 years old, but in addition to being, well, let’s call it a “strong personality” he also hasn’t been any good for several years.
Last season Zambrano had a 4.49 ERA and ugly 95/75 K/BB ratio in 132 innings for the Marlins, including a 6.60 ERA and more walks (46) than strikeouts (39) in his final 59 innings. And in 2011 he had a 4.82 ERA in 146 innings for the Cubs. Obviously the Phillies believe he at least has more upside than other fill-in options, but even that’s based a whole lot more on his past than his present and it’s been a while since the headaches didn’t outweigh the performance.
But hey, we’ll certainly take the extra material for blogging. For now Zambrano will report to extended spring training.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)