May 15, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
And today the Phillies announced that they’ve signed Zambrano to a minor-league contract. So yeah, next time Amaro calls something “ridiculously premature” that’s just code for “will happen within a week.”
Obviously the Phillies can use rotation help with Roy Halladay out indefinitely and John Lannan also on the disabled list, but Zambrano is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel at this point. He’s still just 31 years old, but in addition to being, well, let’s call it a “strong personality” he also hasn’t been any good for several years.
Last season Zambrano had a 4.49 ERA and ugly 95/75 K/BB ratio in 132 innings for the Marlins, including a 6.60 ERA and more walks (46) than strikeouts (39) in his final 59 innings. And in 2011 he had a 4.82 ERA in 146 innings for the Cubs. Obviously the Phillies believe he at least has more upside than other fill-in options, but even that’s based a whole lot more on his past than his present and it’s been a while since the headaches didn’t outweigh the performance.
But hey, we’ll certainly take the extra material for blogging. For now Zambrano will report to extended spring training.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)