May 15, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
And today the Phillies announced that they’ve signed Zambrano to a minor-league contract. So yeah, next time Amaro calls something “ridiculously premature” that’s just code for “will happen within a week.”
Obviously the Phillies can use rotation help with Roy Halladay out indefinitely and John Lannan also on the disabled list, but Zambrano is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel at this point. He’s still just 31 years old, but in addition to being, well, let’s call it a “strong personality” he also hasn’t been any good for several years.
Last season Zambrano had a 4.49 ERA and ugly 95/75 K/BB ratio in 132 innings for the Marlins, including a 6.60 ERA and more walks (46) than strikeouts (39) in his final 59 innings. And in 2011 he had a 4.82 ERA in 146 innings for the Cubs. Obviously the Phillies believe he at least has more upside than other fill-in options, but even that’s based a whole lot more on his past than his present and it’s been a while since the headaches didn’t outweigh the performance.
But hey, we’ll certainly take the extra material for blogging. For now Zambrano will report to extended spring training.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)