May 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
It only takes one person to make a movement these days, so sure, let’s call it a movement. It’s from Bill Chuck at Billy-Ball:
I urge Jim Leyland and the powers that be in Major League Baseball that the starting pitcher in the All-Star Game on July 16 at Citi Field in New York City for the American League should be none other than the greatest closer of all-time, Mariano Rivera.
Why you ask?
Why not, I reply.
And he explains his reasoning. The one argument of nine he makes that I actually kinda like is that it would pit Mariano against the NL’s best as opposed to the 30-35th guys on the roster in a late-inning, possibly non-save situation.
But overall? Blah. Mariano Rivera is a closer. He pitches the ninth inning. Though we may not like modern pitcher usage models, that’s his job. And that’s before acknowledging that giving him the start deprives a worthy starting pitcher of the job. For what? Some spotlight and attention for Rivera? As if he hasn’t received enough accolades already? For cryin’ out loud, people treat him like a near-Jesus figure as it is.
I love Rivera. I agree that the All-Star Game has devolved into a spectacle as it is. But this seems silly and unnecessary to me. Wanna get behind a good cause? Let’s get Vin Scully to broadcast the World Series first.
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 33
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 24
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)