May 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
It only takes one person to make a movement these days, so sure, let’s call it a movement. It’s from Bill Chuck at Billy-Ball:
I urge Jim Leyland and the powers that be in Major League Baseball that the starting pitcher in the All-Star Game on July 16 at Citi Field in New York City for the American League should be none other than the greatest closer of all-time, Mariano Rivera.
Why you ask?
Why not, I reply.
And he explains his reasoning. The one argument of nine he makes that I actually kinda like is that it would pit Mariano against the NL’s best as opposed to the 30-35th guys on the roster in a late-inning, possibly non-save situation.
But overall? Blah. Mariano Rivera is a closer. He pitches the ninth inning. Though we may not like modern pitcher usage models, that’s his job. And that’s before acknowledging that giving him the start deprives a worthy starting pitcher of the job. For what? Some spotlight and attention for Rivera? As if he hasn’t received enough accolades already? For cryin’ out loud, people treat him like a near-Jesus figure as it is.
I love Rivera. I agree that the All-Star Game has devolved into a spectacle as it is. But this seems silly and unnecessary to me. Wanna get behind a good cause? Let’s get Vin Scully to broadcast the World Series first.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)