Watch Hyun-Jin Ryu and Gio Gonzalez play catch with fans

May 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

The Dodgers suck, but they’ve been aces on fan relations lately. First that Matt Kemp video last week, now Hyun-Jin Ryu warms up with a young fan:

Man, the kid has a pretty good arm. Wonder if he could take Beckett’s slot in the rotation …

UPDATE: Gio Gonzalez did it too:

This trend will likely continue until Vicente Padilla does it and throws at a kid.

1. crispybasil - May 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM

It’s always cool to see these guys interacting in such a positive way with fans, especially the young ones. Baseball players, they play catch just like us! I do wonder if this gives Simers more fodder for his next column: “I asked Ryu whether playing catch with a fan could explain why he only has four wins in eight starts this year.”

• raysfan1 - May 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Simers, like all trolls, should simply be ignored.

2. raysfan1 - May 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

And that, my friends, is one of the things I love most about baseball and to which the other major sports really cannot come close.

3. beefytrout - May 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Deuce is really whipping it in there!

4. chill1184 - May 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Its always nice to see that, with all the big contract hupla that goes on with baseball contracts people forget that the stars will interact with the fans in positive ways.

5. lyon810 - May 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Nice to see a Nats fan finally appreciate (let alone know) where their team came from.

• jaguar0413 - May 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I thought Lord Angelos, the Merciful gave us the Nats.

• lyon810 - May 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

No, t’was Lord Loria the ignorant, who gave you the Nats

• jaguar0413 - May 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Touché!

6. historiophiliac - May 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM

That is so freaking adorable! I love the first kid — getting all serious and taking off his hat/wiping his brow. Too cute!

7. cur68 - May 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM

The Deuce has a good arm there. In fact, both kids can sling it pretty good. Baseball players are pretty cool.

• Utley's Hair - May 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I’m impressed with how Ryu never misses the kid no matter where he ends up.

• cur68 - May 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

TheRoundHEadedKid’s got great aim. That’s what you get from a head the size of Sputnik.

8. stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Awesome. I am really jealous of these kids. Very jealous.
    On a side note…I will be at the Cardinals/Redlegs game in Cincinnati June, 9.
    Gotta’ chance to potentially be on the field in a parade with my buddies kids’ little league team.
    I am so giddy at the possibly it is killing me. Not to mention my Wife as well with me incessantly talking about it for the last two weeks. Yeah…I am like a little kid when it comes to this sorta’ thing.

• cur68 - May 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Seriously, StLou? You’ll be on the field? Well, if that works out then you gotta do something to get noticed. Something to get Craig to write it up. I reckon your chances are best if its Batman Related. I don’t think you wanna do something to get yourself arrested or some such (though that WOULD be cool…in a deranged cool kind of way) but juuuuuuust enough so that you make the news or are otherwise remarked upon. So, I think the Full Batman Costume for this one. Not the modern, Christian Bale one, though. I think the throw-back grey with the yellow-on-black logo Batman. The one with the underpants on the outside look. Good luck. We’ll be watching for your write up.

• stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Absolutely Cur! I am gonna’ be sportin’ my retro cream colored Bob Gibson jersey.
        I will undoubtedly be the only person in the parade wearing a Cardinals jersey.
        My buddy is already busting my balls about it. I am like…”dude…you don’t actually expect me to NOT wear my Cardinals gear do you?” To which he replied…”unfortunately, I fully expect you to be wearing it.” Lol! For what it’s worth…I dig the Batman costume suggestion. That would surely get me some TV time. Although…we are gonna have a huge crowd with us.
        About 20 – 25 people. My buddies (and Wife) would hound me unmercifully about it.
        This will be our Girls’ 1st Cardinals game. So I want to make it memorable.
        A Batman costume would certainly do that.

• historiophiliac - May 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Oh, yes, publicly embarrass them. That’ll make it memorable. Maybe you can get Holliday to play catch…with one of the girls, I mean.

• historiophiliac - May 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Now don’t go tackling Kozma! to give him a bear hug. Go easy, Woodpecker. :)

• stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Kozma! I have no problem admitting I will be much like a high school girl when the Beatles made their US invasion. All giddy…giggling…mumbling. I am sure it will be embarassing.
        But I don’t give a damn!

• historiophiliac - May 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Well, yeah, that will probably get you an HBT post… He’s cute so your wife will surely understand. ;)

• stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Hahaha! Thanks for qualifying that Philiac. Lol! But please know if he plays catch with the girls you can bet your ass I will also be taking part in that game of catch. Again…I might be an “adult” but I am a kid when it comes to baseball. And it will be a late Birthday celebration for me as well. Yeah…I am starting to really come up with several reasons why I should love being on the field, playing catch with the Pro’s and giggling like a startstruck fan. The reasons are alleviating my guilt for being such a little kid about it.

• historiophiliac - May 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Ok, just don’t run over the girls. That’s the kind of highlight you DON’T want to be.

9. jwbiii - May 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Padilla? He’s in Japan, nursing a sore arm. His latest comment is

“The more polished. Ball control that is no longer, pain is not a long throw more innings”.

I think this is good news. Ok, I haven’t got a clue.

• Utley's Hair - May 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Padilla translated into Japanese, and then translated into English. Nice.

10. joeflaccosunibrow - May 15, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I like the first video better merely because of the lack of narration. The kids dad (I will assume dad) in the second video is so friggin annoying.

Shut up and let the kid enjoy the moment. Annoy him after the moment is over AND the video camera is off.

11. natslady - May 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Oh, didn’t know there was sound. I always have my computer on mute (unless there’s something I actually WANT to listen to). You never know when an annoying ad will start blaring at you on some web site (not this one, of course).

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2890)