May 15, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Might this be the beginning of the end for Paul Konerko?
Konerko, who turned 37 years old in March, is hitting just .214 with a .623 OPS and White Sox manager Robin Ventura has decided to bench him for the past two games. And possibly more.
Konerko handled it well following a conversation with Ventura, telling Nate Sandell of MLB.com:
I came in ready to play. … Obviously I could have played yesterday. I could have played today. So it’s not like I’m out for some reason. I’m trusting him on that and trying to make the best of it.
For now the plan is for Konerko to rejoin the lineup, hopefully re-energized, but at age 37 there may not be a lot left to re-energize. Konerko had good all-around numbers last season, but struggled down the stretch by hitting just .243 with a .733 OPS in August and September. Add it all up and Konerko has hit .231 with a .297 on-base percentage and .391 slugging percentage in 82 games dating back to August 1.
UPDATE: Konerko is back in the lineup for this afternoon’s game against the Twins.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)