And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

May 16, 2013, 6:31 AM EDT

Seattle Mariners v New York Yankees Getty Images

Mariners 12, Yankees 2: This one was over almost before it started, with Phil Hughes getting knocked around for seven runs in the first inning, which he did not escape. Raul Ibanez hit two homers and drove in six off his old team. Which, I imagine, will cause some columnist who has been lauding Brian Cashman for putting together a chemistry-laden scappy bunch of no-names this past offseason to change gears and talk about how much of a mistake it was for him not to re-sign Ibanez.

Cardinals 4, Mets 2: Shelby Miller didn’t get the decision and wasn’t particularly sharp, but he did pitch five and two-thirds shutout innings and left with a lead. Rick Ankiel, like Ibanez,  hit a homer against his former team. He said this after the game:

“It’s unfortunate we didn’t win but for me it’s a positive, so I’m happy about it,” Ankiel said. “For me it was just fun to do because it was against that team.”

Rangers 6, Athletics 2: Nelson Cruz hit a three-run homer and made this diving catch off Brandon Moss. Not too shabby. Also not shabby: Texas has a seven game lead in the division despite the fact they’ve played 25 of their 40 games on the road.

Diamondbacks 5, Braves 3: Paul Goldschmidt hit three doubles and Eric Chavez drove in three as the Braves lose yet again. They probably need to win a few in a row sometime soon or else the thing I’m comforting myself with — that this team is gonna be streaky — is not going to be true. They’re just gonna be kinda blah.

White Sox 9, Twins 4: Who woke up Adam Dunn? He hit two homers and drove in five. But now he’s gonna be up all night and that’s no good.

Indians 10, Phillies 4: Cole Hamels is now 1-6 with a 4.61 ERA after being beat up by Cleveland. But at least Carlos Zambrano will be around soon to help out the pitching staff.

Astros 7, Tigers 5:  Carlos Corporan hit a tiebreaking double in the top of the ninth and Miguel Cabrera‘s would-be game-winning three run home run fell just short of the wall in the bottom of the ninth to end the game. Houston finally wins one against a Tigers team which has abused them in two straight series.

Padres 8, Orioles 4: San Diego sweeps Baltimore in the two-game series behind a 17-hit attack. The Padres are now 13-6 in their last 19. A nice bounceback after dropping all three against Tampa Bay.

Reds 4, Marlins 0: Shin-Soo Choo with two homers. He’s hitting .322/.465/.589 with nine bombs on the season. Mercy.

Pirates 3, Brewers 1: Yovani Gallardo was 7-0 in his last eight starts against the Pirates, but Wandy Rodriguez outdueled him.

Cubs 6, Rockies 3: Jeff Samardzija pulls a Baseball Bugs, hitting a two-run homer and pitching eight strong innings.

Red Sox 9, Rays 2: A costly loss for the Rays as they drop not only the game but lose David Price to an injured triceps (or is it tricepts?). Meanwhile, Jon Lester improves to 6-0. Stephen Drew hit a grand slam.

Dodgers 3, Nationals 1: Zack Greinke was apparently ready to return. He allowed one run in five and a third and didn’t walk anyone while striking out four. He added an RBI single to boot.

Blue Jays 11, Giants 3: Shh! Four in a row for the Jays. If they keep this up and climb back into contention a lot of early-season memes will be obsolete, eh? Ryan Vogelsong gets rocked again. He may lose his slot in the rotation.

Royals 9, Angels 5: The Angels seem less into meme-busting, as they drop two of three to the Royals. Billy Butler came into Anaheim in a slump. Then went 8-for-13 with a homer and nine RBI in the series. They must serve some good country breakfast in Orange County.

1. randygnyc - May 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM

An ugly night for the Yankees. Forget that Hughes lost the game within twelve minutes, the Yankees infield was littered with AAA players. Replacement, of replacement replacement players. I guess Girardi heard my teeth bashing about the Yankees being boring. So in an effort to install parity into the games, he watered down the Yankee lineup.

• nbjays - May 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Felix Hernandez was heard muttering “Come back against my team without me there, huh? We’ll show you…” :-)

2. kiwicricket - May 16, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Adam Dunn has more Home Runs(9) than he does singles(7).
    45% of his hits have been HRs.

3. dondada10 - May 16, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Terry Collins isn’t going to make it to the 4th of July.

4. indaburg - May 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I believe the correct spelling is tricepts. Good catch, Craig.

Very bad news for my Rays. The game is almost an afterthought. What do you do when Stephen Drew hits a grand slam off your team? Brush it off and wait until tomorrow. What do you when your ace is hurt? Wait nervously for news. My blissful dream is over. Alright, alright. I’m awake.

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM

The good news for the Rays is that for some reason, the Red Sox will be using Dubront (with his 6.40 era) as the starter today rather than Buchholz. Can any Red Sox fan tell me why Dubront has been slotted in between Lester and Buchholz?

• nbjays - May 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Buchholz is waiting for a shipment of sunscreen and it’s been delayed…

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Wearing sunscreen indoors against Tampa Bay is not cool.

• 18thstreet - May 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I think it’s to split up the two best pitchers, who (the theory goes) will need fewer innings from the bullpen than Doubront will. Makes a lot of sense to me. I used to feel very strongly that all teams should do this, but everyone seems to have 20 relief pitchers now, so I’m not sure it matters.

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Thank you. That is as good an explanation as any.

• aceshigh11 - May 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Can anyone tell me why you’re pyschotically obsessed with the Red Sox?

You remind me of Mark David Chapman.

• indaburg - May 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Have you seen how pale Buchholz is? Those indoor lights can be brutal.

• indaburg - May 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Aces, PC is interested in the BoSox as a division rival, as any normal division rival is. If you want to see a psychotic obsession, see my file for Blue Jays, dirtyharry.

• cur68 - May 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Only reason ‘harry hasn’t checked in with his daily lump of poo to hurl is because Our Lads have won 4 in a row, 2 by blow-outs against The WS champs. If it was the other way ’round…poo FLUNG! PC may be minding the BoSox’s bidness a bit, but it aint even close to what dirtyharry’s been up to.

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Am I still upset at the despicable behaviour by the Red Sox brass and John Farrell during the off season? You bet I am.

• paperlions - May 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Burgie, I have to disagree. PC posts more about the RS than he does about the Jays, just an endless string of negative silliness…if it was as a “division rival”, then he would post equally about the Yankees, Orioles, and Ray….all of which he pretty much completely ignores all the time. In contrast, he can’t help but spew crap about the RS all year long.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM

You want to see some bad ERA’s do ya? Just check your starting rotation!! look in the mirror son!!!

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Phyllis 5.88 and Ivan 6.48. Your point?

• indaburg - May 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM

‘Lions, PC enjoys ribbing the BoSox. It is likely because I am not an objective observer and dislike the Red Sox as much as any sane person does that I don’t see it as crossing into psychotic obsession or inane drivel. Even at PC’s worse, he doesn’t sink to harry territory.

• paperlions - May 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Ribbing is fine…it isn’t ribbing. There is venom and bile in it, like the incessant posts about Farrel after he went to the RS…there is an unhealthy obsession there.

• indaburg - May 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Hmmm. I am sensing an unhealthy obsession with his possible unhealthy obsession.

• nbjays - May 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Just don’t obsess over it, ‘burgie… it’s unhealthy. :-)

• manchestermiracle - May 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM

The accepted spelling of the word for the muscles on the back of the upper arm is ‘triceps.’ I can find no reference to the word ‘tricepts.’

• historiophiliac - May 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

It’s a reference to a former commenter on here.

• indaburg - May 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Kind sir, you must be new around here.

5. proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Pitching for the Jays was 40 year old Ramon Ortiz who must have made a pact with the devil. Over 7 innings he gave up 1 run to the World Series champs. It was his first ML win as a starter in 6 years. He was helped by the 11 runs and some very sloppy fielding by the Giants. The Jays have scored 33 runs in their last 3 games as the hitters are finally coming around. The Jays are getting the good bounces and the other teams are making the mental mistakes. In April, it was the other way around.

• nbjays - May 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM

As I said to Cur yesterday, PC… we needed to do to Vogelsong what we did to Zito: score early and often. And that’s just what happened. But the Giants defense needs to start showing up before the second inning. The first inning in those two games was brutal for errors and unearned runs. Not that I’m complaining, mind you.

• cur68 - May 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Our Boys get the day off. RR and a chance to take stock. I hope they all take it easy and recharge a bit. Its The Empire next up. Defeating them a few would go a long ways to making up some ground.

Been fun watching Beaver Games for the last 4. Long may it last.

• cur68 - May 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write: Ramon Ortiz has not sucked. He’s been good. Not great, but good. Better than the hitters he’s faced, and he faced some good ones last night. In fact, the sucking has belonged to The SF Giants (another sentence I didn’t expect).

Ramon Ortiz, if you are reading this, thank you.

/hat tip

• dirtyharry1971 - May 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM

The jays are 7-7 in May and you are acting as if they are 14-0, the hole the jays dug themselves 7-7 isnt going to cut it junior

• cur68 - May 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM

/poo FLUNG!

6. therealtrenches - May 16, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Give Cole a break, Craig.

He didn’t have his stuff yesterday, but he wouldn’t be the first pitcher (in a Phils uniform or another team’s) to wilt vs Cleveland’s bats.

Also, before yesterday, he pitched several gems while receiving close to the least run support in the majors.

• natslady - May 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Colbert’s made 9 starts. 3 were bad and one was average. The Fillies have lost 8 of the 9 games he started. Yeah, he’s had lousy run support, but he’s also walkin’ guys and giving home runs. Nope, not cutting him a break (not that I would anyway).

Date	Opp	Rslt	IP	H	ER	BB	SO	HR	ERA	Pit	GSc
        Apr 28	NYM	W,5-1	6.0	1	4.78	66
        May 4	MIA	L,0-2	8.0	2	4.34	72
        May 9	ARI	L,1-2	6.0	2	4.18	50
        May 15	CLE	L,4-10	5.0	5	4.61	37
        56.2	29	4.61
      • manchestermiracle - May 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Wut? Nothing about the gnats being unable to beat the woeful Dodgers? According to CC the Dogs brought Greinke back too soon, yet the gnats were unable to take advantage. Time for the Capital Doomwatch to begin?

• natslady - May 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

@manchester: hmmmm, I thought I was replying to a post about Colbert. My comments about the woeful Nats are below…try the scroll-down feature of your mouse.

7. kcrobert10 - May 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Go royals go. Ya we were in a funk before heading to the big A. Dyson should play every day Frenchy should go away and the line up of Dyson, Escobar, Gordon, butler, hosmer, Cain, Perez, moose, Johnson is the best we have right now. Also wow the Angels are a complete mess. I did think they would win the west I had Texas but come on with those hitters they should be much better than this.

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I like the Royals a lot, but everything is not rosy. Didn’t Dyson sprain his ankle yesterday, and when is Hosmer going to hit?

• kcrobert10 - May 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Ya he did hurt himself being a little to over exuberant. He is young though so lets see if he can heal quickly.

• tellyspop - May 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM

It’s nice to see the Royals playing well. On a sadder note Fred White’s passing gave me pause for reflection. Many, many years ago when I lived in Howard Cosell’s favorite cow town and the Royals were contendas, I enjoyed the melodious tones of Denny Matthews and Fred White on the radio. My sincere condolences to the White family in their time of sorrow.

8. Old Gator - May 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I want to correct a ubiquitous rumor out there – that the Feesh are having “trouble scoring runs.” Feesh broadcaster have even contributed to this misimpression, having stated several times during last night’s debaclecast that they were “having trouble scoring runs.” Each time the Feesh managed to hit into a double play, or pop and strike out with runners in scoring position, macha at the microphone would remind us that they were having “trouble scoring runs.”

Earth to Tommy Hutton et al: In order to have “trouble scoring runs,” you have to score runs. Apparently, the Feesh have decided that it’s the runs themselves which are troublesome, and the way to avoid having trouble is not to score any. Seemple, no? As if to prove my point, the Feesh got eleven hits – I said eleven (Moses, pick up the reference there? Couldn’t resist.), and were shut out. Clearly, they enjoyed getting hits, but were able to avoid bogging themselves down with those troublesome runs. Bravo!

Another comment our usually doughty announcers made several times last night: the Feesh bats were “silent.” I would like to know what a bat sounds like in the first place. If you tickle a bat, smack it around, if you drill a hole in it, it will still not make a sound. Torture it. Caress it. Pour acid on it. Waterboard it. Nada. Zilch. Bats have no noisemaking capability whatsoever. Let’s find another trope, shall we? Prosopopoeia limps.

In other news, the Astros won, pulling the Feesh to within a half game in the race for cringing rights for the worst record in professional baseball and/or baseball-like sports.

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM

The prize for last place is the number 1 draft pick in the 2014 draft. Go Feesh Go!

• Old Gator - May 16, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Yes, the notion of Scrooge McLoria rescuing some dermally ravaged post adolescent victim of hormonal imbalances which are none of his own fault from the further humiliation by being assimilated to designatedhitterball appeals to me – it shows that there might just be a naturally occurring Cro-magnon encased even in the dense outer shell of a replicant.

• stex52 - May 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Huh? Oh, I mean “Morning, Gator.”

• dirtyharry1971 - May 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Yea we have all seen what a lot of good draft picks have done for the jays now havent we?

• indaburg - May 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I love you, Gator.

• Old Gator - May 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I know, but we can’t go on meeting like this. People are getting suspicious.

9. paperlions - May 16, 2013 at 7:41 AM

The 3rd place team in the NL Central would be in 1st place in the NL East or West, and the division doesn’t even have a punching bag team in it this year.

• Old Gator - May 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM

That’s true. I’ll see you a punching bag and raise you a doormat.

• stex52 - May 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Not yet, anyway. I doubt the durability of a couple of them.

• cardsr4real - May 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Not spoken like a true Cards fan. The Cubbies are punching bags every year!

• historiophiliac - May 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hey, you made Craig’s Twitter feed.

• paperlions - May 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

For reals?

I don’t do the twitter (mostly because I fear I would waste FAR too much time if I did).

• historiophiliac - May 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I know, you have a hard time multi-tasking. :) I won’t tell you what Craig said…

• paperlions - May 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

THPTPTH!

Everyone has a hard time multi-tasking and most people suck at it and ignore that fact. I am great at task switching (which many people call multi-tasking, but is not).

• historiophiliac - May 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Oh, stop yer spittin’.

• Old Gator - May 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM

That was a Bill the Cat reference. How quickly they forget.

10. historiophiliac - May 16, 2013 at 7:51 AM

First of all, Leyland, stop jinxing us by saying ahead of time it’s hard to keep a streak going, okay? But thanks for knowing better than to use V-Wiggles in a tied up game. Still, an ML HR first for Garcia was a nice game moment. If only, if only the winds had lifted Miggy’s comet just a smidgen more, but it was not to be. Oh, and Ladies and Gentlemen, Phil Coke.

• proudlycanadian - May 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I guess that things don’t get better with Coke!

• heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Well, you know what they say: practice makes casket.

Wait, perfect, practice makes “perfect”, that’s what it’s supposed to be.

• manchestermiracle - May 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM

“Things GO better with Coke,” though not in this case; and “Practice makes permanent.” The way you practice is the way you will perform. Way too many corrections needed this morning, ladies and gents. Thinking ahead to the weekend again, are we?

Okay, now that I have my daily impression of my college geometry instructor out of the way I’ll just let myself out…

• detroitr1 - May 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Phil Coke needs to go back to changing oil at Jiffy Lube or something. We have no room for a gas can who can only pitch to lefties on his “good days.”

• historiophiliac - May 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Where’d all those Coke bandwagon fans from the post-season go? Yeah.

11. dracko19 - May 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Miggys almost HR would have been a Grand Salami. FWIW

12. natslady - May 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Injuries are not an excuse, but we got ‘em anyway. Ross Detwiler came out of the game after the 3rd inning with “back spasms” and may not make his next start. Wilson Ramos, fresh off the DL, got two hits and re-injured his hamstring. Werth is rehabbing in Potomac, Harper is, well, Harper. He’s feeling “terrible.”

Couldn’t get a run in with guys on 1st and 3rd, nobody out. Grrrr. Bullpen was solid, except for Drew Storen… yeah, that Drew Storen.

Well, heading into San Diego. Maybe some home cooking for Strasburg’s angst–and we get to face Edison Volquez (ERA 5.15) and then a “Burch Smith” (ERA 54.00). Mr. Smith had the fifth worst debut EVER (well, since 1916), but he sports a 100 mph fastball and will probably look like Cy Young to our hitters.

13. heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM

“Yeah, you really want to stick it to that team if you’re Ankiel. I mean, after all they did to him, sticking with him for years while he completely transformed himself in the minors and dealt with multiple career-threatening injuries when just about every other team would’ve released him. Yep, they really had it comin’.”

To say such things, under the current Executive Branch, is tantamount to treason. He should be afforded every opportunity to be whatever he wants, pitcher, outfielder, DH, GM, ball person…..

14. aceshigh11 - May 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Lester and Buchholz, and pray for rain.

15. StottsEra - May 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Jankees had a position player pitch….

16. rockthered1286 - May 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

OPACY was a packed house yesterday… granted the entire upper level was K-12 kids on field trips, but I’ll take it. Had some great seats for such a poorly pitched game by the yardbirds, but when you see the combo of Garcia (washed up vet), McFarland (rule 5) and Tommy H(unte)R (failed starter turned pen/punching bag….doesn’t exactly strike fear into the local U12 team.

However I will say this- Manny Machado- 4 for 5 with 3 2-baggers. Continues to drive that average up and I heard (too lazy to check stats this morning) that he’s now in the top 5 for BA in the league now? Quick! Somebody call Bill Baer so he can continue to justify how Manny is not in the same universe as Harper and Trout!

17. yarguy - May 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Miller may not have had his best stuff for the Cardinals, but he did go 5.2 with no earned runs. And gets a no decision. Maness comes in and blows the place up (0.2 innings pitched, allows 2 earned runs, officially a blown save) and gets the win because the Cards offense scores the winning run before another Redbird pitcher gets to the mound. Tell me again why pitcher wins matter.

• stlouis1baseball - May 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Essentially…Maness gets the win in spite of himself. And you are spot on with the Cards offense scoring the winning run before we had another pitcher on the mound. The bullpen is atrocious and I fully expect that to continue all year. As I mentioned yesterday…I really hope Boggs has worked his issues out cause’ he will be sorely needed in middle relief.

• stex52 - May 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Rooting for Miller last night because

a.) You gotta love the way the kid has come out pitching. Real ROY material.

b.) He was my Fantasy League rookie pick up. He has been worth a ton of points already. If the bullpen does its job, I would have gotten more.

Keep it up, Shelby!

18. janessa31888 - May 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Loving me some Jason Kipnis. He was on fire last night, capped off by a crushing three run homer. After the game he joked that the players knew they needed to step their game up when the pitcher(Corey Kluber) was having better at bats than they were!

19. tmohr - May 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hey, after bottoming out at 5-13, the Cubs have won 12 of 22. It’s a start…

20. jdvalk - May 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Hughes is Jekyll and Hyde as a starter but was money in setup work; worth another go-around there.

21. APBA Guy - May 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Texas did what they had to do yesterday, and the impression they left was despite their injuries (Lewis, Feliz, and Harrison) their starting pitching is better than the A’s. Their offense is certainly more consistent, with contributions from different guys each night. Also it looks like the Angels still are sputtering, with major pitching issues of their own.

Cruz’s catch was a back breaker, but mainly because the A’s weren’t developing many chances to score. The Rangers only allowed 5 hits and 3 walks for the game. Dan Straily is struggling as the A’s fill-in starter, this time for Anderson. The pitching depth the A’s used to great advantage hasn’t developed so far this year, as Parker and Milone have been inconsistent, to put it charitably, though Griffin seems to be back on track.

Only 6 more games until the next Houston series :)

• stex52 - May 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

So what’s your point? :-)

• historiophiliac - May 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Are you celebrating today?

• stex52 - May 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I’ll celebrate when they can win 90 games again.

22. uyf1950 - May 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Well that was an ugly loss for the Yankees and an even uglier outing by Hughes. I’m sure it won’t be the last over a 162 game MLB schedule. There is always tomorrow or in this case today.

23. markofapro - May 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

APBA- thanks for the summary but I believe all this has been covered. Are you in journalism training-pants or are you being a writing “suspect” ?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3833)