May 16, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
There was a touching moment before tonight’s Red Sox/Rays game, as nine-year-old Alayna Adams threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Tropicana Field and was reunited with her dad in the process.
Army Lt. Col. Will Adams, who had been stationed in Afghanistan for the past year, was actually behind the plate decked out in full catcher’s gear. After he caught the pitch from his daughter, he took off the mask and the surprise reunion was on. You can watch the video here.
By the way, here’s a beautiful shot of the moment from Chris O’Meara of the Associated Press. As our own Craig Calcaterra would say, it’s gettin’ a little dusty in here.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8