May 16, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
There was a touching moment before tonight’s Red Sox/Rays game, as nine-year-old Alayna Adams threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Tropicana Field and was reunited with her dad in the process.
Army Lt. Col. Will Adams, who had been stationed in Afghanistan for the past year, was actually behind the plate decked out in full catcher’s gear. After he caught the pitch from his daughter, he took off the mask and the surprise reunion was on. You can watch the video here.
By the way, here’s a beautiful shot of the moment from Chris O’Meara of the Associated Press. As our own Craig Calcaterra would say, it’s gettin’ a little dusty in here.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)