Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch

May 16, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT

William Adams and family

There was a touching moment before tonight’s Red Sox/Rays game, as nine-year-old Alayna Adams threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Tropicana Field and was reunited with her dad in the process.

Army Lt. Col. Will Adams, who had been stationed in Afghanistan for the past year, was actually behind the plate decked out in full catcher’s gear. After he caught the pitch from his daughter, he took off the mask and the surprise reunion was on. You can watch the video here.

By the way, here’s a beautiful shot of the moment from Chris O’Meara of the Associated Press. As our own Craig Calcaterra would say, it’s gettin’ a little dusty in here.

source: AP

1. jxegh - May 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Never get tired of these…….

• skids003 - May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Me neither. Until they ALL come home!!!

2. hittfamily - May 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM

She threw better than Rodney tonight. It was a little dusty before the game, and in the 9th too.

• aceshigh11 - May 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

That was a BRUTAL turn of events for the Rays.

Can’t get any more nail-biting than that…Sox down to their last strike, trailing by two with the bases loaded, and Middlebrooks rips a bases-clearing double. Amazing.

• indaburg - May 17, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Sigh… you read my mind, hitt.

3. tfbuckfutter - May 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I hate things that make me feel emotions other than anger and hunger.

• paperlions - May 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Hmmmm, hunger as an emotion? I’m gonna have to ponder this.

• pmcenroe - May 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I’d vote hangry as legit

• baseballicious - May 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I agree, paperlions. The potential for hunger as an emotion is there, we just have to think about it.

4. ningenito78 - May 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Those videos get me every time.

• bigharold - May 17, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Congrats, .. You’re normal.

5. tfbuckfutter - May 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

If you want to watch this without bawling you should just imagine the girl and her mom had a fight right before leaving because she wanted to go to the movies or Myspace or Twitter or something and her mom was all “you HAVE to go to the game!” and she was like “I hate you and wish you were in Afghanistan instead if daddy!”

Anyone with sisters sisters knows what I’m talking about.

6. aceshigh11 - May 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM

That’s sweet…it’s difficult for me not to not tear up a bit whenever I see one of those surprise reunion videos.

• chumthumper - May 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM

When my hard-boiled neighbor sees one of these, he just says his eyes are sweating. Yea, right.

7. hittfamily - May 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Justin Verlander got a surprise meeting with his daddy tonight….Yu Freaking Darvish!

• rlj2170 - May 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

now thats funny…i dont care who ya are!

8. crnvic847 - May 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Who still uses MySpace anymore?

9. Stiller43 - May 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Much agreed buckfutter…but these dang videos always get me!

10. moogro - May 17, 2013 at 2:14 AM

What a time for him to joke about moving out. That wild pitcher repeatedly throwing over the batter’s head was distracting also.

11. ndnut - May 17, 2013 at 2:20 AM

This room is distort than my great-grandma’s attic.

12. proudlycanadian - May 17, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Thanks for posting this story. I loved it seeing it when I was watching the game.

13. fat4jc - May 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Loved the video. Completely unrelated, but what was with Felix Doubront’s pitches during that interview? Especially that 1st one?

14. unclemosesgreen - May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

This isn’t new, it’s an oft-repeated military / MLB cross-promotion. It got me the first time, but now, having seen it several times, I’m more than a little uncomfortable with many aspects of it.

1) It’s manipulative – if you’re going to use small children to manipulate the audience, why not bring out a group of small children whose mommy or daddy will never be coming home because they were blown to death by an I.E.D. in an illegal war started for specious reasons.
    2) If daddy is home early, why not just let him GO SEE HIS FAMILY right away instead of making him wait in the wings to pull off a publicity stunt using his child.
    3) Why is MLB doing this in the first place?

• spellingcops - May 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM

You’re a special kind of douche bag. You could probably find the bad side of payday, or winning the lottery, or driving a fast car. People like you just bring everyone down.

• unclemosesgreen - May 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Too much of payday comes out in taxes. A vast majority of people who win the lottery are personally ruined by it and bankrupt within five years. People who drive fast cars often suffer horrific injuries that could be avoided by driving a more sensible car, and driving it slower.

I also don’t randomly insult people that I disagree with, I try to reason with them. Have a nice day.

• scotttheskeptic - May 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Why does it take, “a special kind of douchebag,” to object to the emotional manipulation of 1) a child, 2) a nation? To relate a previous thread (the Star-Spangled Banner commentary), this is as bad as using Gob Bless America during the seventh inning stretch to gin up, “patriotism.”

15. rlj2170 - May 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM

unclemosegreen is either off his meds..or someone peed in his beverage

• unclemosesgreen - May 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

May God and Hippocrates help the individual that pees in my beverage on the day I’m off my meds.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I just returned to this thread. While I enjoyed the event, I do think that you have a valid point. Keep up the good work and fie on the person with the limited vocabulary who criticized you.

• unclemosesgreen - May 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Thx PC – like I said, the first time I saw it I enjoyed it too. But then I saw it again, and the little goblins of doubt and skepticism started poking at me.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I understand.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

One other point. After this event happened, I did use the feedback button to recommend that Hardball Talk post this story as I liked it. On the other hand, I completely oppose the mental midgets with their limited vocabulary in their criticism of the reasoned response by unclemosesgreen.

16. rickdobrydney - May 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I have to say that i am inclined to agree with unclemosesgreen —-These things , while obviously emotional, are kind of stagey, and I agree that a reunion like this should be a private family affair, and not a Fenway Park attraction in front of 35,000 people….what’s the point of staging it there ??? Do not get it. Again, I think it’s wonderful that Dad is home with his family, but it should be WITH HIS FAMILY, and not in front of a full ballpark .

• hittfamily - May 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I was in line behind the guy at concessions. He still had to pay 8$ a drink for his family.

17. scotttheskeptic - May 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

When was Chris Coste deployed to Afghanistan?

18. scotttheskeptic - May 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Lastly, Mr. short, I believe the U.S. Army abbreviation is LTC.

19. buffalomafia - May 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Thats cool!

20. dirtydrew - May 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Bless that family.i hope he can stay home, where he belongs.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet