May 16, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
The Millersville University baseball team was stopping at a Sheetz in Johnstown, Pennsylvania when a frantic father holding his limp, seemingly lifeless boy got out of his car yelling for help:
Dave Pine, 20, a catcher, said, “He was screaming and yelling, ‘My son is choking! He’s having a seizure! Somebody help!’ “So that’s what the team did.Time seemed to slow down for a few long moments as the team ran to the family just as the child’s mother laid the tot down on the ground.Chambersburg High School health class came rushing back to Tyler McDonald, 21, another third baseman.”I started doing the checklist of CPR,” McDonald said.
They laid the boy down, helped clear his airways, calmed the family down, called 911 and waited until the ambulance came. Then they just went on about their business. Their coach didn’t know about it until the family — with the recovered baby — showed up at their game in Slippery Rock a couple of days later to thank them.
Way to go, guys.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 93
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 30
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)