May 16, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
The Millersville University baseball team was stopping at a Sheetz in Johnstown, Pennsylvania when a frantic father holding his limp, seemingly lifeless boy got out of his car yelling for help:
Dave Pine, 20, a catcher, said, “He was screaming and yelling, ‘My son is choking! He’s having a seizure! Somebody help!’ “So that’s what the team did.Time seemed to slow down for a few long moments as the team ran to the family just as the child’s mother laid the tot down on the ground.Chambersburg High School health class came rushing back to Tyler McDonald, 21, another third baseman.”I started doing the checklist of CPR,” McDonald said.
They laid the boy down, helped clear his airways, calmed the family down, called 911 and waited until the ambulance came. Then they just went on about their business. Their coach didn’t know about it until the family — with the recovered baby — showed up at their game in Slippery Rock a couple of days later to thank them.
Way to go, guys.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)