May 16, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
The Millersville University baseball team was stopping at a Sheetz in Johnstown, Pennsylvania when a frantic father holding his limp, seemingly lifeless boy got out of his car yelling for help:
Dave Pine, 20, a catcher, said, “He was screaming and yelling, ‘My son is choking! He’s having a seizure! Somebody help!’ “So that’s what the team did.Time seemed to slow down for a few long moments as the team ran to the family just as the child’s mother laid the tot down on the ground.Chambersburg High School health class came rushing back to Tyler McDonald, 21, another third baseman.”I started doing the checklist of CPR,” McDonald said.
They laid the boy down, helped clear his airways, calmed the family down, called 911 and waited until the ambulance came. Then they just went on about their business. Their coach didn’t know about it until the family — with the recovered baby — showed up at their game in Slippery Rock a couple of days later to thank them.
Way to go, guys.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 39
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 44
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)