May 16, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
The Millersville University baseball team was stopping at a Sheetz in Johnstown, Pennsylvania when a frantic father holding his limp, seemingly lifeless boy got out of his car yelling for help:
Dave Pine, 20, a catcher, said, “He was screaming and yelling, ‘My son is choking! He’s having a seizure! Somebody help!’ “So that’s what the team did.Time seemed to slow down for a few long moments as the team ran to the family just as the child’s mother laid the tot down on the ground.Chambersburg High School health class came rushing back to Tyler McDonald, 21, another third baseman.”I started doing the checklist of CPR,” McDonald said.
They laid the boy down, helped clear his airways, calmed the family down, called 911 and waited until the ambulance came. Then they just went on about their business. Their coach didn’t know about it until the family — with the recovered baby — showed up at their game in Slippery Rock a couple of days later to thank them.
Way to go, guys.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)