College team saves a baby’s life

May 16, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT

Justice League

The Millersville University baseball team was stopping at a Sheetz in Johnstown, Pennsylvania when a frantic father holding his limp, seemingly lifeless boy got out of his car yelling for help:

Dave Pine, 20, a catcher, said, “He was screaming and yelling, ‘My son is choking! He’s having a seizure! Somebody help!’ “So that’s what the team did.Time seemed to slow down for a few long moments as the team ran to the family just as the child’s mother laid the tot down on the ground.Chambersburg High School health class came rushing back to Tyler McDonald, 21, another third baseman.”I started doing the checklist of CPR,” McDonald said.

They laid the boy down, helped clear his airways, calmed the family down, called 911 and waited until the ambulance came.  Then they just went on about their business. Their coach didn’t know about it until the family — with the recovered baby — showed up at their game in Slippery Rock a couple of days later to thank them.

Way to go, guys.

1. jtpercell - May 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM

What is a Sheetz?

• The Dangerous Mabry - May 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Convenience store/gas station. I’ve seen them in Western PA, don’t know exactly how large the chain is.

• deathmonkey41 - May 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM

They’re in the Philly area also- mostly North West of the city. I’ve seen them up by my girlfriend’s in Pottstown.

• rpink24 - May 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Like Wawa, only better.

• phipfwe76 - May 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Like Wawa, only worse.

• unclehilroy - May 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM

False. Both are good, but Sheetz holds the edge.

2. heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM

You can’t field your position any better than that.

Great story.

3. hittfamily - May 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Did the kid seize at a Sheetz, or have the sheetz at a Seize?

4. stlouis1baseball - May 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Great story. Glad the team was there. As a parent…I can’t imagine the terror this kids parents were feeling.

5. darthicarus - May 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

This puts a whole new spin on the term “utility player”.

6. geoknows - May 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Wow. Second time in a week a baseball team has saved a life:

• raysfan1 - May 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Cool story too, thanks!

7. flosox - May 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

As a father whose daughter has had two febrile siezures, which this sounds like to me, it is one of the most terrifying experiences a parent/person can have.

Febrile siezures are caused by a spike in body temperature, which indicates infection of some sort and is the natural reaction to cool the body from the high fever. My daugther went from 99 to 104 in a matter of minutes. However, during this process the child will sound like they are choking, go limp and may even have blue around the lips; YEAH, absolutely terrifying!!! In my daughters case, she was having chronic ear infections which can be rectified very easily with ear tubes.

In any event, you have to play it safe and assume the worst. Luckily febrile siezures are not harmful (unless you go limp and fall on something) and are very common which a child outgrows by Kindergarten.

Great job guys!!

• dlf9 - May 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I hope your daughter is OK. My youngest girl had a series of febrile seizures when she was pretty young but has grown into a happy, healthy 12 year old. Memories of rushing to the ER and absolutely not knowing what to do to protect my child still haunt me a decade later.

8. pensman29 - May 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

That’s awesome. I wish I knew about this earlier I live in Slippery Rock.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act