May 16, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Daniel Bard has been a mess at Double-A this season and may have reached rock bottom last night, as the once-dominant Red Sox reliever walked five and uncorked two wild pitches in one inning of work.
Just eight of his 30 total pitches were strikes and Bard has now walked 17 batters in 12.2 innings at Double-A overall this season, including 13 walks in 3.2 innings since returning after a brief call-up to the Red Sox.
Bard was one of the best relievers in baseball from 2009-2011, throwing 197 innings with a 2.88 ERA, but his attempted transition to the rotation went horribly and he’s been a disaster ever since. At this point he’s basically in Steve Blass/Rick Ankiel/Mark Wohlers territory.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)