May 16, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Daniel Bard has been a mess at Double-A this season and may have reached rock bottom last night, as the once-dominant Red Sox reliever walked five and uncorked two wild pitches in one inning of work.
Just eight of his 30 total pitches were strikes and Bard has now walked 17 batters in 12.2 innings at Double-A overall this season, including 13 walks in 3.2 innings since returning after a brief call-up to the Red Sox.
Bard was one of the best relievers in baseball from 2009-2011, throwing 197 innings with a 2.88 ERA, but his attempted transition to the rotation went horribly and he’s been a disaster ever since. At this point he’s basically in Steve Blass/Rick Ankiel/Mark Wohlers territory.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:16 PM EST
Norris asked for $10.25 million and the Orioles countered at $7.5 million.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:49 PM EST
Buck joins Christian Bethancourt and A.J. Pierzynski on the Braves’ catching depth chart.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Now, if they’ll bring back the beer mug Bernie slides into, everything will be A-OK.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EST
I’m sure you’ve been worried about whether he would.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:10 PM EST
Parmelee was dropped by the Twins last month.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:18 PM EST
Mesoraco is arbitration eligible for the first time at age 26 and filed for $3.6 million, while the Reds countered at $2.45 million.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Wade Boggs is . . . the World’s Most Interesting Man
Jan 26, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
If it was a human it would’ve almost made it to the first grade. But now it is dead, aged just short of six years.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
If you made a trade with St. Louis in the 90s and 2000s, you likely got the bad end of that trade. Because of this guy.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:57 AM EST
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
“I don’t know if my metabolism is slowing down from getting older or what, but I feel good.”
Jan 26, 2015, 9:31 AM EST
Hey guys, if things break just right we may get another A-Rod lawsuit!
Jan 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Short version: The man knows how to budget. Mets fans can’t dispute that.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
A solution in search of a problem. Or, at the very least, a solution that would be worse than the problem.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:46 AM EST
We are approaching the day when a Hall of Famer with over 3,000 hits and a career .328 batting average will be best known for knocking back cold ones.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
Corey Kluber won the AL Cy Young Award for his great 2014 season and now the Indians will have to consider whether or not they want to sign him to a contract extension.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:35 PM EST
With Yovani Gallardo out of the picture, Brewers GM Doug Melvin said he’s not looking to add a notable starting pitcher.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Twins prospect Alex Meyer is open to contributing out of the bullpen if he doesn’t win a rotation spot in spring training.
Jan 25, 2015, 8:20 PM EST
The Mariners added some outfield depth, signing Endy Chavez to a minor league deal. They’re reportedly close to signing Franklin Gutierrez as well.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
With Jonathan Papelbon likely staying in Philadelphia, the Brewers are turning their attention back to Francisco Rodriguez.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 61
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)