Great Moments in Good Clubhouse Guys

May 16, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

zambrano getty Getty Images

This hadn’t occurred to me, but my HBT colleague Bill Baer notes something amiss with the Phillies’ season plan over at Crashburn Alley: Michael Young‘s signing was accompanied by talk about building a better clubhouse, but then the team goes out and gets Delmon Young and now Carlos Zambrano. Who, for all of their charms, have never been mistaken for good clubhouse guys. Particularly Zambrano.

It’s almost as if teams sign whoever they can and laud them with whatever handy label they have at their disposal at the time to make everyone think there’s more of a plan and philosophy in place than there really is.

1. djpostl - May 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

And Amaro says he doesn’t believe in walks. Pssh. Big Z will test that theory real quick lol.

2. darthicarus - May 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

As long as the Phillies don’t employ any other “alpha males” or Jewish folks Zambrano & Young should be fine.

• tuberippin - May 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I think we’ll be all good. There are only 12 active Jewish MLB players, and one of them was former Phils reliever Michael Schwimer, who went to Toronto.

However, those cheesesteaks may be too enticing for Slim Delmon to avoid all summer long.

I’m a Phils fan, but honestly I would love to catch a game and see Delmon Young do something like drop a can-of-corn fly ball while Zambrano is pitching, just to see them fistfight in the dugout. Plus, maybe then we could get rid of both of them simultaneously.

A man can dream.

3. heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM

“But I do sort of hope this works, even if it means the Phillies winning a lot of games.”

Why do I feel like my team has just been cursed?

4. asimonetti88 - May 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I don’t understand your beef with the idea of team chemistry. Yes, there are instances of bad teams with great chemistry, and good teams with terrible chemistry, but on the whole, it is much easier to be productive and work to your full potential when you are in a favorable work environment.

Particular to Michael Young though, yes I think the fact that he appears to be a nice guy causes people to overvalue him.

5. offseasonblues - May 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

“But I do sort of hope this works, even if it means the Phillies winning a lot of games. Because I think it would put to rest the whole idea of good citizens making for good baseball teams, chemistry mattering and all that jazz.”

And if it doesn’t work, will it put to rest the whole idea that chemistry is totally meaningless?

6. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I’d only be concerned about dudes being “bad” clubhouse guys. And even with that, why is that affecting the way you play? You’re getting paid to play baseball, why do you need guys with good attitudes to play your best? You don’t. And I’ve never heard a player say “I’m playing better because of (player’s) attitude around the team.”

7. orangandblack - May 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I hear they’re bringing Milton Bradley in

• tuberippin - May 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Ruben Amaro has Carl Everett’s number on speed dial.

8. pisano - May 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I hope he takes his meds, if not it won’t take long for all hell to break loose. Thorozine would be my guess.

9. patrick10311211 - May 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

teams putting out press reports for the sole benefit of their interests. SHOCKING!! LOL. Im ok with both of the moves simply because they’re low-risk and high-reward and I like watching crazy Zambrano hit but over the long run these are more examples of how clueless Amaro is when it comes to building a winning baseball team. Barring one last lucky run by a bunch of veterans, the Phils are really heading down the wrong road and will no longer be perennial contenders for quite some time.

10. largebill - May 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM

It’s been said before, but it rates repeating. Winning teams tend to seem to have great chemistry because people don’t blow up about minor crap when lifes good and you’re winning. Conversely, when a team is losing regularly and players know post game interview is going to be painful then something you might other wise laugh off suddenly causes you to lose your cool. I’m not saying chemistry is nothing, but do say it doesn’t make up for a lack of talent. Assembling a team has to be primarily about getting the best talent your budget can afford. All things being equal you’d like to have some solid veterans to keep things on an even keel during the inevitable tough stretches every team goes through.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3692)