May 16, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
This would be Venters’ second Tommy John surgery, with the first coming in 2005 when he was a 20-year-old at low Single-A. He’ll miss the remainder of this season and likely a big chunk of next year as well.
Venters has been overshadowed in the Braves’ bullpen by closer Craig Kimbrel, but he had an incredibly dominant stretch from 2010-2012 in which he threw 230 innings with a 2.23 ERA, .212 opponents’ batting average, and 10.1 strikeouts per nine innings. And he was ridden very, very hard by manager Fredi Gonzalez.
UPDATE: Venters had the surgery this afternoon.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)