May 16, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
This would be Venters’ second Tommy John surgery, with the first coming in 2005 when he was a 20-year-old at low Single-A. He’ll miss the remainder of this season and likely a big chunk of next year as well.
Venters has been overshadowed in the Braves’ bullpen by closer Craig Kimbrel, but he had an incredibly dominant stretch from 2010-2012 in which he threw 230 innings with a 2.23 ERA, .212 opponents’ batting average, and 10.1 strikeouts per nine innings. And he was ridden very, very hard by manager Fredi Gonzalez.
UPDATE: Venters had the surgery this afternoon.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 18
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 13
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 77
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)