Longtime Royals radio voice Fred White dies

May 16, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Fred White

Fred White, a Royals radio broadcaster for 25 years and team employee since died yesterday due to complications from melanoma. He was 76:

White was best known for the 25 years, 1974-98, that he teamed with Denny Matthews in the Royals’ radio booth.

“I had great admiration and respect for Fred and even after he left the broadcast booth, he did a fantastic job with our radio network,” [Royals owner David] Glass said. ” … Fred was really good with the alumni and provided a lot of leadership there. So we’re just really proud of our association with him and we send our sincere condolences to Fred’s family. It’s a shock to all of us and he’s really going to be missed.”

Since 1998 he had worked in Royals media relations and coordinated alumni activities.

I had never had the opportunity to hear White’s radio work, but like Harwell with me and any number of other broadcasters with fans of other teams, it’s always sad when the voice which invited us into baseball at a young age passes. There are Royals fans from their 40 somethings on down to their late teens who first heard baseball through White’s work. Even if he hadn’t been broadcasting for a while, he will surely be missed.

1. sportsdrenched - May 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

That’s a tough loss right there. I think every broadcaster I listen to regularly has a “Fred White” story about how Fred helped them in their career, and heven if he didn’t..offered to help in anyway he could.

As for me, it’s another peice of childhood that has moved on. Like a lot of people my age. We all have that: “I listened to Fred and Denny when I was supposed to be sleeping” story. Cause back then the Royals were worth staying up past your bed time.

Happy Trails Fred.

• blacksables - May 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I’ve been travelling,and just saw this. I grew up on Fred White calling ballgames. I think Scully is the greatest of all time, but Fred White will always be my favorite.

2. losangelesfan - May 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Not yet Fred! Take Hudler with you!

3. allan357 - May 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Craig, you would have liked his voice. He had an ideal radio voice, very smooth, and his delivery was polished. I don’t think I ever heard him say ‘Umm’ or ‘Ah’ during the many years I listened to him. He and Denny Mathews were an incredible pairing that was broken up far, far too soon. RIP Fred.

4. blingslade - May 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Fred was a great guy and his radio delivery was very smooth. When Fred was let go he went out of his way to support his replacement, Ryan Lefebvre. Fred even went on the radio to tell listeners to “just give him a chance”. That’s the type of guy Fred was.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3055)