May 16, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Fred White, a Royals radio broadcaster for 25 years and team employee since died yesterday due to complications from melanoma. He was 76:
White was best known for the 25 years, 1974-98, that he teamed with Denny Matthews in the Royals’ radio booth.
“I had great admiration and respect for Fred and even after he left the broadcast booth, he did a fantastic job with our radio network,” [Royals owner David] Glass said. ” … Fred was really good with the alumni and provided a lot of leadership there. So we’re just really proud of our association with him and we send our sincere condolences to Fred’s family. It’s a shock to all of us and he’s really going to be missed.”
Since 1998 he had worked in Royals media relations and coordinated alumni activities.
I had never had the opportunity to hear White’s radio work, but like Harwell with me and any number of other broadcasters with fans of other teams, it’s always sad when the voice which invited us into baseball at a young age passes. There are Royals fans from their 40 somethings on down to their late teens who first heard baseball through White’s work. Even if he hadn’t been broadcasting for a while, he will surely be missed.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 56
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)