May 16, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Fred White, a Royals radio broadcaster for 25 years and team employee since died yesterday due to complications from melanoma. He was 76:
White was best known for the 25 years, 1974-98, that he teamed with Denny Matthews in the Royals’ radio booth.
“I had great admiration and respect for Fred and even after he left the broadcast booth, he did a fantastic job with our radio network,” [Royals owner David] Glass said. ” … Fred was really good with the alumni and provided a lot of leadership there. So we’re just really proud of our association with him and we send our sincere condolences to Fred’s family. It’s a shock to all of us and he’s really going to be missed.”
Since 1998 he had worked in Royals media relations and coordinated alumni activities.
I had never had the opportunity to hear White’s radio work, but like Harwell with me and any number of other broadcasters with fans of other teams, it’s always sad when the voice which invited us into baseball at a young age passes. There are Royals fans from their 40 somethings on down to their late teens who first heard baseball through White’s work. Even if he hadn’t been broadcasting for a while, he will surely be missed.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 11
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 63
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)