May 16, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Our own D.J. Short passes along this amazing stat:
Mariners shortstops have combined to hit .121 with a .318 OPS this season. National League pitchers have combined to hit .124 with a .323 OPS this season.
So through one-fourth of the season Seattle’s shortstops have been out-hit by pitchers. Think about that.
Brendan Ryan has started 30 times at shortstop, with Robert Andino taking the other 10 starts. Ryan has a great glove, but he’s been one of the worst hitters in baseball for a while now, and Andino has a .611 career OPS.
Meanwhile, shortstop prospect Nick Franklin is hitting .339 with four homers, eight doubles, and a .982 OPS in 30 games at Triple-A. He’d be a downgrade defensively and in fact has been splitting time between shortstop and second base this season, but Franklin ranked among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects coming into the year and … well, he might at least out-hit a bunch of pitchers.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)