Marlins Minor leaguer suspended for PEDs

May 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EST

Rachel Leigh Cook

Hope this doesn’t hurt the Marlins competitively …

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Miami Marlins Minor League right-handed pitcher Juan Arias has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

He plays in the Dominican Summer League, so somewhere Dan Shaughnessy is sitting back and saying “I told you so.”

1. finfanvin - May 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I only read this article for the picture

2. chill1184 - May 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Sometimes I wonder with all the lecturing (I would assume) that goes on from teams about how PED (and other related drugs) are not the way to the top why minor league guys still do it. Other than the “F it Im going to do them anyway and hope I dont get caught” reasoning.

• paperlions - May 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Arias is 18 and playing in his native DR. It is highly possible that he just took whatever a “trainer/adviser” gave him….not like a guy that never went to HS is going to make an informed decision to start using steroids. If you watch Pelotero, you’ll see just how much these guys are pushed and pulled around by everyone (including “scouts” from MLB teams and MLB itself).

• chill1184 - May 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM

What is Pelotero? Is that a documentary/commentary on the issue? Do you have a link?

• paperlions - May 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

3. kjericho43 - May 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The brain on drugs Rachel Leigh Cook pic AND a Doug Henning pic? I love Hardball Talk.

4. chaseutley - May 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM

At least somebody in the organization is trying.

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM

And his Topps card just went through the roof on eBay.

5. waiverclaim - May 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM

ANYTHING to avoid getting called up to that team, huh?

6. yem123 - May 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I don’t understand why the picture is a girl in a tank top

• nbjays - May 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Why not?

• Old Gator - May 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

No, what he means is, why is she wearing a tank top – or anything else, for that matter.

7. getadealdonealready - May 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Who cares – tell me more about the girl in the tank top!

Not that I’m complaining but am I the only one that doesn’t understand what she has to do with the story, other then to get ppl like me to click on the link?

8. dan46778 - May 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM

At this point who really cares about ped’s

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3216)
  2. J. Kang (3075)
  3. C. McGehee (2800)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2768)
  5. J. Upton (2754)