May 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
David Price has been placed on the disabled list after leaving yesterday’s start with a strained triceps.
To take his spot on the roster the Rays called up left-lander Alex Torres, who’s spent most of the past three seasons at Triple-A throwing 253 innings with a 4.13 ERA and 296/160 K/BB ratio. Torres has big-time stuff and racks up tons of strikeouts, but shaky control has kept him from emerging as a better prospect and he’s already 25 years old.
Price has struggled all season, following up his Cy Young-winning campaign with a 5.24 ERA, but for now at least the Rays seem confident that he’ll only miss 2-3 starts.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)