May 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
David Price has been placed on the disabled list after leaving yesterday’s start with a strained triceps.
To take his spot on the roster the Rays called up left-lander Alex Torres, who’s spent most of the past three seasons at Triple-A throwing 253 innings with a 4.13 ERA and 296/160 K/BB ratio. Torres has big-time stuff and racks up tons of strikeouts, but shaky control has kept him from emerging as a better prospect and he’s already 25 years old.
Price has struggled all season, following up his Cy Young-winning campaign with a 5.24 ERA, but for now at least the Rays seem confident that he’ll only miss 2-3 starts.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)