May 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
David Price has been placed on the disabled list after leaving yesterday’s start with a strained triceps.
To take his spot on the roster the Rays called up left-lander Alex Torres, who’s spent most of the past three seasons at Triple-A throwing 253 innings with a 4.13 ERA and 296/160 K/BB ratio. Torres has big-time stuff and racks up tons of strikeouts, but shaky control has kept him from emerging as a better prospect and he’s already 25 years old.
Price has struggled all season, following up his Cy Young-winning campaign with a 5.24 ERA, but for now at least the Rays seem confident that he’ll only miss 2-3 starts.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 0
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)