Roy Halladay had surgery

May 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Roy Halladay Getty Getty Images

And — altogether now! — it was successful:

Roy Halladay underwent successful arthroscopic surgery in Los Angeles on Wednesday and could begin a throwing program in six to eight weeks, the Phillies announced Thursday.

Well-known orthopedist, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, performed the surgery on Halladay. According to team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti, Halladay could begin a throwing program in July.

If he’s throwing in July I suppose it’s theoretically possible he’s pitching this season. Guess it depends on whether the Braves and Nats continue their contest as to who wants to win the division least. So far it’s deadlocked, which is keeping the Phillies in it.

1. stex52 - May 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Translation:

Successful – The patient didn’t die.

• jarathen - May 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I play iOOTP Baseball and I had a young, upcoming reliever undergo unsuccessful surgery. He retired and I was sad.

• stex52 - May 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I was being flippant. I know sometimes it isn’t.

• jarathen - May 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I know you were being flippant. It was just literally the only example of unsuccessful surgery I could ever recall.

• Utley's Hair - May 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM

His career is another story.

• heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yes, that would be the ultimate goal if one really thinks about it.

2. heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

“Guess it depends on whether the Braves and Nats continue their contest as to who wants to win the division least”

Or, they were overvalued in the first place and injuries happen.

• evanwins - May 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I thought the Nats were so deep that injuries couldn’t derail there inevitable World Series Championship?

The Phillies are not the team the Braves and Nationals want hanging around in August/September, right Mets fans?

• someguyinva - May 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

The Nats woke up on April 26 last year with a record of 14-4; they woke up on July 1 with a record of 44-32, but no one really noticed the fact that they had a 30-28 stretch, because of that 14-4 start.

Point is that their 21-19 start to this season isn’t yet a reason for panic; they’re a flawed team so far, but I’ll take being only one game out of first after all the Derpitude so far this season.

• heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I had the honor of being in the stands of Shea stadium for a Friday night game during that particular collapse. I still remember the masses screaming “six game lead” in unison at us as we left the game in our Phillies finest. But, as you allude to, you know how that story ended.

Right now, i’m fine with them hanging around.

3. evanwins - May 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Best of luck to Doc. The media anoints a lot of players “good for baseball” and they are usually wrong or at the very least misguided. In Halladays case he has actually proven that he is good for baseball so I wish him the best.

4. sandrafluke2012 - May 16, 2013 at 5:16 PM

As a liberal, I think that Halladay is overpaid like a CEO. With all the income inequality in America, the only way to solve it would be a 90% tax rate

• cincibowtie - May 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Your comment makes zero f-ing sense, shame on me for responding to it.

5. halladayslabia - May 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Man. That shit hurt! It was like that night after Junior Prom in the back of dads Mercury. Lots of stretching.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3752)