May 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Bubba Starling was one of the most-hyped high schoolers in recent memory before being drafted by the Royals with the No. 5 pick in 2011, but after a strong debut at rookie-ball last season he’s been terrible this season.
Starling has hit .213 with a .640 OPS and ghastly 41/10 K/BB ratio in 35 games at low Single-A and it turns out maybe he just can’t see the ball.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Starling has left the low Single-A team and traveled to Kansas City to potentially undergo Lasik eye surgery. Starling apparently complained of not being able to see very well during night games and his vision has gotten worse since the last time he had it checked.
At this point Lasik is a very minor operation and he’d probably be back playing within days, but making eye checks a regular thing seems like a decent idea for teams given how much money they’ve invested in the development of players like Starling.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)