May 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
After Ryan Vogelsong was touched up for eight runs — six earned — on six hits and two walks over three innings last night against the Blue Jays, there was speculation that the Giants would skip him in the starting rotation, but manager Bruce Bochy isn’t ready to go there yet.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Vogelsong and Bochy met today and it was decided that he will make his next scheduled start Monday against the Nationals. The struggling right-hander has volunteered to pitch out of the bullpen this weekend against the Rockies, so there’s a chance that things will change, but Bochy is willing to give him the opportunity to pitch his way out of his funk.
After posting a 3.05 ERA from 2011-2012, Vogelsong is dead-last among qualified starters this season with an 8.06 ERA. He has allowed 11 home runs in just 41 1/3 innings so far after giving up 17 in 189 2/3 innings last season and 15 in 179 2/3 innings in 2011.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)