May 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
After Ryan Vogelsong was touched up for eight runs — six earned — on six hits and two walks over three innings last night against the Blue Jays, there was speculation that the Giants would skip him in the starting rotation, but manager Bruce Bochy isn’t ready to go there yet.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Vogelsong and Bochy met today and it was decided that he will make his next scheduled start Monday against the Nationals. The struggling right-hander has volunteered to pitch out of the bullpen this weekend against the Rockies, so there’s a chance that things will change, but Bochy is willing to give him the opportunity to pitch his way out of his funk.
After posting a 3.05 ERA from 2011-2012, Vogelsong is dead-last among qualified starters this season with an 8.06 ERA. He has allowed 11 home runs in just 41 1/3 innings so far after giving up 17 in 189 2/3 innings last season and 15 in 179 2/3 innings in 2011.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)