May 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
After Ryan Vogelsong was touched up for eight runs — six earned — on six hits and two walks over three innings last night against the Blue Jays, there was speculation that the Giants would skip him in the starting rotation, but manager Bruce Bochy isn’t ready to go there yet.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Vogelsong and Bochy met today and it was decided that he will make his next scheduled start Monday against the Nationals. The struggling right-hander has volunteered to pitch out of the bullpen this weekend against the Rockies, so there’s a chance that things will change, but Bochy is willing to give him the opportunity to pitch his way out of his funk.
After posting a 3.05 ERA from 2011-2012, Vogelsong is dead-last among qualified starters this season with an 8.06 ERA. He has allowed 11 home runs in just 41 1/3 innings so far after giving up 17 in 189 2/3 innings last season and 15 in 179 2/3 innings in 2011.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)