May 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
After Ryan Vogelsong was touched up for eight runs — six earned — on six hits and two walks over three innings last night against the Blue Jays, there was speculation that the Giants would skip him in the starting rotation, but manager Bruce Bochy isn’t ready to go there yet.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Vogelsong and Bochy met today and it was decided that he will make his next scheduled start Monday against the Nationals. The struggling right-hander has volunteered to pitch out of the bullpen this weekend against the Rockies, so there’s a chance that things will change, but Bochy is willing to give him the opportunity to pitch his way out of his funk.
After posting a 3.05 ERA from 2011-2012, Vogelsong is dead-last among qualified starters this season with an 8.06 ERA. He has allowed 11 home runs in just 41 1/3 innings so far after giving up 17 in 189 2/3 innings last season and 15 in 179 2/3 innings in 2011.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)