May 17, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Paul Sullivan of the Tribune makes a great point when he says this year’s Cubs team is “not good enough to capture our attention completely, and not bad enough to ignore totally.” Such is life for most rebuilding teams. But he provides a fantastic service today in telling Cubs fans what they should pay attention to and what they shouldn’t.
… Tune out: When the Budweiser patio is shown. The proliferation of patios in the Wrigley renovation suggests ownership enjoys promoting the idea of fans talking on cell phones and not paying attention to the product on the field.
Maybe Cubs fans know this stuff, but it’s actually pretty handy for non-Cubs fans who like to flip around the dial and take in games from random teams. Because really, there are very few truly unwatchable baseball teams. The hard part is just knowing when to watch.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 73
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)