May 17, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Jason Heyward is back from the disabled list after being out since April 21 following an emergency appendectomy.
Heyward made it clear right away that he wasn’t going to rush back, targeting late-May, and ended up missing 23 games. Atlanta went 9-14 without Heyward after starting the season at 13-4, although considering he was hitting just .121 the hot start had nothing to do with him and fill-ins Evan Gattis, Reed Johnson, and Jordan Schafer certainly weren’t any worse.
Along with activating Heyward the Braves also placed reliever Jordan Walden on the DL with shoulder inflammation. Acquired from the Angels for Tommy Hanson this offseason, Walden has a 4.85 ERA in 13 innings while posting a very strong 16/3 K/BB ratio, but he was scored on each of his last three appearances.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 7
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)