May 17, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Jason Heyward is back from the disabled list after being out since April 21 following an emergency appendectomy.
Heyward made it clear right away that he wasn’t going to rush back, targeting late-May, and ended up missing 23 games. Atlanta went 9-14 without Heyward after starting the season at 13-4, although considering he was hitting just .121 the hot start had nothing to do with him and fill-ins Evan Gattis, Reed Johnson, and Jordan Schafer certainly weren’t any worse.
Along with activating Heyward the Braves also placed reliever Jordan Walden on the DL with shoulder inflammation. Acquired from the Angels for Tommy Hanson this offseason, Walden has a 4.85 ERA in 13 innings while posting a very strong 16/3 K/BB ratio, but he was scored on each of his last three appearances.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59