May 17, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Jason Heyward is back from the disabled list after being out since April 21 following an emergency appendectomy.
Heyward made it clear right away that he wasn’t going to rush back, targeting late-May, and ended up missing 23 games. Atlanta went 9-14 without Heyward after starting the season at 13-4, although considering he was hitting just .121 the hot start had nothing to do with him and fill-ins Evan Gattis, Reed Johnson, and Jordan Schafer certainly weren’t any worse.
Along with activating Heyward the Braves also placed reliever Jordan Walden on the DL with shoulder inflammation. Acquired from the Angels for Tommy Hanson this offseason, Walden has a 4.85 ERA in 13 innings while posting a very strong 16/3 K/BB ratio, but he was scored on each of his last three appearances.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 41
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 78
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)