May 17, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Athletics starter Brett Anderson has not pitched in a game since his April 29 start against the Angels due to ongoing problems with his right foot. In the time since, the A’s have had the lefty run and throw side sessions, and they even had him make a rehab start, but the injury never seemed to go away.
The team’s official Twitter reported today that Anderson has a navicular stress fracture of his right foot, and that he will be reevaluated in four weeks. Susan Slusser suggests a two-month absence for Anderson when you factor in rehab starts.
In 29 innings, Anderson has a 6.21 ERA on the season. When he is healthy — which hasn’t been often — he can be effective by inducing weak contact and limiting walks. Dan Straily had taken his place, but the results weren’t any better as his 7.27 ERA in 29 innings has the right-hander’s rotation spot in jeopardy. Slusser says the A’s could take a look at 2011 first-round pick Sonny Gray, who has been performing well with Triple-A Sacramento thus far.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)