May 17, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Fernando Rodney had one of the greatest reliever seasons in baseball history last year, breaking Dennis Eckersley’s all-time ERA record by saving 48 games with a 0.60 ERA in 74.2 innings for the Rays.
He allowed opponents to hit .167, struck out 9.2 batters per nine innings, and issued just 15 walks in 74.2 frames after a career filled with control problems.
Rodney hasn’t quite turned completely back into a pumpkin this season because he’s still holding opponents to a .211 batting average and has racked up 23 strikeouts in 15.1 innings, but his control has abandoned the 36-year-old right-hander and he’s coughing up runs in bunches.
In fact, after another ugly outing last night Rodney has already matched his 2012 totals for walks allowed (15) and runs allowed (9), and he’s nearly doubled his 2012 total for earned runs allowed (9 vs. 5). He’s gone from a 0.60 ERA in 74.2 innings to a 5.28 ERA in 15.1 innings, blowing three saves and taking two losses in his 16 appearances.
Just a friendly reminder that all deals with the devil expire after one season.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 10
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)